Chapter 12~ dinners and lizards

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." ~ Winston Churchill

Tense.

That's the best word to describe this night's dinner. It was like a dark cloud was looming on top of our heads as a reminder of what happened earlier today. No one has said a word and I haven't bothered to break the silence. The clinking of metal against ceramic is the only thing that's making any noise.

I could feel their eyes on me every once in a while but I don't even bat an eyelash their way as I shovel the meatloaf down my throat. Aunt had always been a great cook but as I had said before, mom's cooking was and always will be better.

A throat clears and my body freezes. I look up and meet with three pairs of eyes all looking at me, which in total means six eyeballs are looking at me with different amounts of intensity, different types of emotions, all at once. Pretty intimidating don't you think?

Uncle shares a quick glance with aunt before they turn to look at me once more. I notice that Eric keeps on looking at Emily but she doesn't reciprocate, which is odd but that's not the point. "So..." Uncle clears his throat, "Sapphire, how was your day?" I look at him for a few moments, admiring how bright his eyes are, God this having supernatural powers thing is really making me see things in a different light.

I clear my throat, "It was a-alright uncle, thanks for asking." I return my gaze to my plate and continue with my dinner. The room once again falls quiet and I quickly finish my food. I stand up and murmur a thank you to aunt before heading for the kitchen. I could hear their low murmured conversation as I wash my plate but even with the super hearing, it's still hard to hear. I quickly wipe the plate dry and put it in it's place before taking a deep breath and walking out of the kitchen.

The house is made so you pass the dining and living room before going into the kitchen. The stairs to the top floors are by the powder room in the living room, which means I inevitably have to go through my family before going to my room. Bummer, I know.

I keep my head down as I pass the table, avoiding any eye contact as much as I can because eye contact means conversation and conversation means talking about something and that something is something I'm not in the mood to talk about. "You do know we have to talk about it, right?" Aunt states and my feet falter as I make a stop. But that conversation about that something has to happen, sooner or later. The universe really hates me, I swear. I nod my head and briefly glance at them and note that it's only uncle and Aunt at the table. I quickly look away and make my way to my room.

I jog up the stairs and exhale loudly as the soft click of my bedroom door closing resounds in the quiet room.

"For someone new to this, you sure are taking it light and easy."

I flinch before remembering that I have a human in my head.

"Why, were you expecting me to flip the table?" I chuckle and make my way to my closet and pick up my pyjamas.

"No I wasnt- actually to be honest, I kinda was thinking you would flip the table. You seem like those types.."

"What does that mean? I dont do such childish things." I state and make my way to my bed, I really need some sleep.

"Who, you? Hahaha! Oh my God, I can't believe it!"

"What are you laughing at? I'm being serious!" I toss the rest of my pillows on the floor. I'm not one for being tidy, sue me.

"Oh nothing. Nothing at all."

I roll my eyes, "So I'm supposed to believe that?"

"Yes, I think that's what you're supposed to do, or is there another option?"

"God, you suck the energy outta me, and it's only the first day. Oh my God, it really is the first day!" I mildly exclaim. It's funny how time seems to stop when it wants to, can you imagine that it's the same day that I was awoken by a strange voice in my head. The same day that my family told me I'm not human. The same day that I turned into that hideous half human half werewolf monster. The same day that I found out about my parents being not human. The same day I was hunted by some strange thing for no particular reason 'cause I don't think it has a reason for that but that's besides the point. Point is that so many things happened all in one day. How much more can happen in a week?! And- oh my GOD!

I MISSED SCHOOL!

It's school today and no one bothered telling me!

"Well you were not going to school for a few days so I'm shocked that you're worried now..."

"That's besides the point! I'm healed now, I should be in school! This is my last year for crying out loud, I can't be missing even a single one of it! I have to pass and graduate so I can leave this sorry excuse of a town and go to university and study to be a mechanical engineer just like how it's supposed to be! I can't just sit at home and listen to people ramble on and on and on about witches and werewolves, and lizards-"

"Lycans."

"Huh?"

"They're called lycans not lizards. Lycans."

"You see? I shouldn't be worried about about how to pronounce such words, words I'm sure even Google correct doesn't know!"

"Hey, I didn't choose this life for you ok? And by the way, who is Google?"

I gape at the ceiling and just shake my head. "Just, never mind. Goodnight Isolda." I turn and close my eyes.

"Uh, goodnight to you too Sapphire. I guess."

I'm going to school tomorrow, whether they like it or not.

Hey guys!

How's the chapter? I have been writing it for a few days and just decided to finally post it cause it's been enough already.

Anywho, tell me what you think and I'll see you in a few! Byeee!

Hlahla🍎🍏