Chapter 16~ doubtful lunches

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope you'll join us. And the world will live as one."~ John Lennon

Third person POV

As they sat together at their usual lunch table, the group couldn't help but notice the change in Sapphire. She was much more talkative and participated much more than she usually did in the past years, it was like before her parent's death. No one bothered to point it out, afraid that they might do something wrong and lose her once again. They shared curious glances at each other to see if one of them had a slight idea of what happened.

The last time they saw her was on her birthday, she didn't attend school the following day and didn't keep in contact with them for the whole weekend. Their cousins also didn't tell them what happened to her so they didn't push it either, they knew she would tell them what happened when she felt comfortable.

"So, Saph, are you going to tell us where you've been hiding this whole time?" Justin asks after swallowing a bite of his tuna sandwich. They all noticed her fidgeting but didn't point it out. "Uhm, do I have to?" She nervously chuckled whilst cracking her knuckles, a nervous habit of hers. They all stared at her, "Yes you have to. You can't just disappear for days on end and then not tell us what happened or at least where you were." Logan exasperated in a desperate tone. As much as they were happy that their friend is acting as normal as she can get it was still worrying that she can go from non-responsive to a kid on Christmas Eve that easily.

Sapphire didn't give a response but looked lost in her own world. It was worrying but still amusing to watch because she wasn't aware but her face contorted in different expressions. They shared a worried glance when she still didn't respond. "Sapphire?" Amanda called out to her friend in a tentative tone. When Sapphire didn't answer they all worriedly looked at each other, this was much more complicated than they thought. Amanda once again called Sapphire a little louder and shook her shoulder. Sapphire jumped once Amanda managed to get her attention and with a startled look stared at her friends. "Uhm, I gotta go. Something came up and aunt wanted me home. Uh- uncle's cat, yes, Uncle's cat died and we were going to the funeral! I couldn't miss it for the world, Mr kn- Mr knuckles? Oh I'm going to miss him!" She rambled as she scrambled to gather her things. She ignored the confused looked her friends were giving her and made a dash out of the lunchroom, leaving her friends with confused and worried thoughts.

"Something's wrong guys." Vanessa concluded and the others nodded in agreement. "Badly so." Ryan muttered. Amanda stayed silent as the other continued to talk about Sapphire's behavior amongst each other. She was extremely worried about her friend, as much as they were a group, she was much closer with her than the others because they have been friends for as long as she can remember. She knew Sapphire as much as Sapphire knew her, they shared everything together.

She was there when Sapphire broke down on the death of her parents, she witnessed her wails of anguish when she woke up at her aunt's house to find out that her parents are dead. And even though Sapphire closed off on her after that, she was still the closest to her than the others. Even though she didn't know it, she was one of the strongest pillars that held Sapphire stable during those two years.

She had noted that something was wrong when Sapphire didn't send her a good morning text the following day of her birthday like she always did every day, but she didn't pay much mind to it because she saw that her friend was hurt by the fact that her parents weren't there to share her eighteenth birthday with. But after a few hours of nothing, she grew worried but still didn't act on it. When Ryan suggested they visit her she disagreed her reason being she still needs time. She tried contacting her but still didn't get a response. When she decided to go visit her, her cousins told her that she wasn't at home and left with their uncle. She didn't believe them but let it be, if something wrong happened she knew that her friend would tell her. But she's not so sure right now.

She can tell that Sapphire is hiding something and that something is pretty big, and then the worst part is that she's doubting her friends' trust in her. She feels that Sapphire doesn't trust her, well as much as she used to. She knows Sapphire is not a very open person, she wouldn't tell anyone everything about her, even her friend group but she had hoped that maybe they are much closer, that they're friendship is much more stronger than the ones she shares with the rest of their friends. It hurt her that Sapphire views her like the others and doesn't see her as someone more important than the others.

Amanda was so blinded by those thoughts she failed to notice that she was painting her friends as unimportant to Sapphire. Although she was friends with Sapphire for a longer time she failed to acknowledge the fact that she is also a friend just like how Ryan, Logan, Jonathan and Vanessa were friends to Sapphire.

The group sat in silence for the rest of their lunch break, all mulling over what happened. Sapphire was an important person in each of their lives and had a certain way she positively affected their lives. They all felt it when Sapphire changed and closed off, she stopped being as close to them and stopped doing what they usually did when together. Each of them had been helped by Sapphire more than other people thought because she was that type of person, she was their confidant. She knew what each of her friends were facing and helped them in any way possible.

She is a very kind soul and a caring person and when they couldn't help her like they wanted to help when it was Sapphire who was going through hard times, it really had an impact on them. And now their friend comes back feeling all goofy and bubbly, like she hadn't been hogged up in herself for two whole years, that had suspicious written all over it bold, bright letters. But they let it be, as much as they know something's up, they still don't want her to go back to before, they know that all will be good sooner or later. Or they at least hoped so.

The bell rang pulling them all out of their reveries. They all threw their untouched lunch and muttered a half felt 'see you later' before going to their respective classes. All leaving with a heavy heart

Ok, I'm allowing every type of curse to be written here cause I don't have a reason other than being lazy for not updating. I'm srcly sorry guys, I really am and I'm trying my best to write the following chapters but damn, being an author is hard guys. And another thing is that I was promised a phone if I pass and I'm planning on getting it.

Anywho, I'm writing this whilst my mom is punishing my younger siblings fro breaking toys they got just yesterday. My younger brothers are hiding under the bed and are refusing to get out 🤣🤣🤣 God I love my siblings. Being a parent is hard guys, my mom is running around the house chasing one of them whilst dragging the other😂😂😂 how did your parents punish you as a kid cause my parents are a firm believer of "spell the rod and spoil the child" so I've had my share of beatings up until 13.

Anywho, I hope you enjoyed the chapter and I hope you will still be with me throughout this journey. Again I'm sorry for this guys, I really am.