Chapter 9~ paw-like hands

Dedicated to xXxUniQuE47xXx for being the best supporter ever. You are an awesome soul!

****

"What we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allen Poe

How dare they?! Was it necessary for them to say such things, about my parents, who are DEAD!

The thoughts ran through my mind at the same pace my steps were as I ran which was faster than anything considering I was in the track team in school and never have I reached this speed before. I was literally flying between trees, nothing but green blurs in my line of vision.

I don't know how long I've been running nor how far I've ran, but with my speed I'm sure it's really far. The tranquility I felt was so worth it though. Running has always been like second nature to me, I always enjoyed  it and so did my dad. We always had our father-daughter bondings during jogs. We were always drawn to nature, as a whole family and running through the forest always brought peace and freedom. We enjoyed hiking and having picnics in the woods, all in all everything we did always had nature in it. Dad always claimed it was the fact that our last name was Evergreen that we were drawn to the forest and I never denied it because there was nothing I loved more than the safety of being under a canopy of trees, breathing the fresh oxygen and watching animals find comfort in the barks and tree tops.

Entering a forest was like going home after being homesick for years.

"Woah! I don't think the Irish would appreciate the unexpected visit. Slow down!"

The voice rings in the back of my mind like an annoying conscious. I ignore it and continue sprinting through the greenery of the trees.

"Slow down Sapphire, you'll get us in trouble!"

Don't stop. Run. Don't stop. Run.

"STOP!"

I skid to a halt and topple over as I lose my balance. My chest rises and falls as heavy pants escape my mouth. I then notice that I'm trembling. I felt like crying, my emotions were all over the place and it aggravated me not being able to control them. It was like I wasn't in control of my body. The words Eric had said about my parents was my breaking point. It was like overly suppressed emotions decided they had enough and exploded.

I hated the way the sounded so sure as if they were telling the truth. Hell I don't understand why they even bothered with the lie. It's like they're taking me as some sort of incompetent fool, like if they say stuff like that, my parents would come back to me. They don't know how it feels to lose important people in your life. They are still a happily family, a perfect family with Mom, dad and their precious twins. They don't have the right to do or say such things.

I run my hand through my hair but come to a halt when I notice the overly long nails running thought my scalp. I yelp and bring my hands to my vision. I blink once. Twice. Three times but the image of paw-like hands in my vision don't disappear or falter as if a figment of my imagination.

I turn them around analysing the short white fur protruding on the back of what used to be my hand. A scream teared through my throat. What the hell happened to me?!

"You shifted duh."

The voice in my head answers in a somewhat sarcastic and mocking tone. I almost scream but stop myself scowling when I register the words, "Shifted? How does one shift?" I decide to question cause let's face it, if you had a voice in your head that clearly wasn't your conscious saying stuff like that you would definitely question what, why and how.

I know I know, you would've declared yourself crazy and go see a specialist but see, problem is I already know I'm crazy and I doubt anyone would get close to me at the moment. Not to mention the fact that I'm talking to myself...

God I'm really crazy.

"You know, like turn into a lycan shift." It states. Where did I know that name before again?

"Your father was a lycan but he didn't shift like you do... Which by the way I don't know why. You seem to be a special one huh."

I was so confused I'm sure my brain was taking a strain. This person seems to know about me and my family, how I don't know. The big question was why are my hands like paws and where the hell had I heard the word lycan?

"Are you worked up with having paw hands? Wait until you see your whole reflection." The voice sniggers and I furrow my eyebrows, what's wrong with my reflection?

"I'm sure I saw a river or something or maybe it was a dam somewhere whilst you were running. I'm sure it's not that far away, it would be a great substitute for a mirror." The voice rants and I nod my head before turning around and make my way back the way I came from.

As I was walking, I didn't fail to see how tall I was from my usual 5"6 height. It was like a few, ok not few, a lot of inches were added to my height and by a lot, I mean a lot. I'm sure I was about 6"6 if not more. This increased my anxiety and I quickened my steps, the river seeming too far for my liking.

Oh my God I just noticed how alike Harry Styles looks with the stranger things Jonathan Byers on the song Lights up!!

Anyway tell me what you think! Stay safe, thanks for the support, love ya!!!

Hlahla🍎🍏