10| Square One

Settle for a deal...

Lord Ronin and lord Heron left the hall to ensure complete privacy—settling their agreements and conditions in a non-disclosure manner. And whatever they're dealing, it's bothering.

Lady Hanaya tried to approach me but Lady Razzini—as what she usually do— she's keeping her away from me. Lady Razzini has been shooting daggers after knowing their spell had vanished. It probably irks her upon knowing Lady Hanaya and I had spent a day and been together.

She's seething she must've losing it when she dashes towards me. "What are you doing here?" She's certainly appalled seeing me again. Her knuckles are turning white as if she's crushing me in her hands. "Why did the spell broke? What did you do?"

Nothing changes. They'll always blame me whatever goes wrong along their way. "I didn't—

"You always bring curse to anyone!" She glares at Hanaya. "Can't you get it? We tried everything to protect you. This abominable—" pointing out her slender finger on me, "She will ruin you! She will drain your strength to death!"

"Mother, please stop it—

"How did you do it?" Ignoring Hanaya, she went ballistic just like that day she killed my mother. She can't stay still as she paces back and forth as if wanting to strike me but couldn't. "Why did you break it?"

"I didn't do anything. I don't even know how to cast a spell—

"Liar! Is this how you repay us for giving you chance to live?" Intensely disgusted, she charges closer. Her boiling rage makes her eyes and face steaming red. "How dare you to defy us?"

"Mother, she didn't do anything!" Lady Hanaya pulled her away. "She just wants to help me."

"You've been taught to act with appropriate manners, Hanaya. Don't intrude and degrade yourself. Your voice is irrelevant."

"But—

"Look at you, you just spent a day with her and now you're being rude and mulish?" It makes Hanaya tightly clenched her fist. "And you, I should have known you're up to something when you dared to show last time I saw you. I shouldn't have been lenient and should have punished you right then."

"Mother, please stop it!"

"It's not my intention to disobey, a kitchen staff just wanted me to wor—

"What a cunning soul you are! I'll make you pay for it. You might've done something to lure that poor maid. Just like your mother—you're despicable!"

It rendered me speechless. Upon mentioning my mother, it makes my heart heavy. I rush towards a nearest open window to get a breath of air.  As usual, they always think the worst of me. What curse I bring did she rant about?

Trying to ignore them as I always do, they should be least to my concern. But yes, defying them is certainly I'll have to pay.

Everyone looks at the hallway when we heard approaching steps. Seeing both of them, they have different expressions in their faces. The Lord of Zadral showed a resigned countenance—an expression that shows defeat and complete submission. He looks inferior in such situation he currently messed with.

The lunatic man looks nonchalant but his eyes glinted when he sweeps a passing glance on me. Under everyone's none perceptive eyes, nothing's suspicious. But seeing that strange gleam in his eyes, it's ominous it sent chills to my bones. I know something is off.

Lord Heron assured lady Razzini that everything was already settled. Lady Hanaya has been freed in exchange of Lord Heron's absolute cessation of his pillage in Hannan region.