Luhan: Better Off

When Luhan left the world famous boy group EXO, you felt your life crash around you. He was your bestfriend and honestly your favorite member. No matter how many times you tried to contact him after that, he ignored you.

You worked as an assistant for the managers for EXO. Meaning you usually schedule meetings, studio sessions, dance practice and such.

Once he left, you almost had no reason to stay with them. But, you stayed strong and thought "I'm better off without him". You loved him, you admit to yourself, but he would never return those feelings. It was the new year and you felt yourself becoming more and more successful than you thought. You were promoted to manage a new girl group and even write some songs for them.

There wasn't a day where you dont think about him. He was your inspiration to keep going, not only to prove a point that you didn't need him in your life, but that you didn't miss him. Even you knew that was a lie.

You were out drinking that night with colleagues and eating dinner. You were on an exhibition in China since the girl group was filming a show for the week. Your nerves were restless as you sat on a bench in a park. Alone this time to rest yourself and sober up before you returned to the hotel.

'I shouldn't be here...he lives around this area, if I see him I wouldn't even know what to do' you thought as you set your hand on your forehead. You noticed a food vendor selling your favorite snack, so you stood up and walked a B-line to the cart. Eating the delicious food made you warm inside, memories flooding back to you as you smiled to yourself. A memory popped up in your mind that made you almost cry. When Luhan was training, you would always bring him the same snack. He judged you at first, thinking he wouldn't like it, but once he tried it he fell in love. You were proud to get him out of his shell a bit during that time.

"(Y/n)?...is that you?" A voice interrupted your daydreaming. You snap your head to the man in line to get the exact same snack. It was him. You swallowed your last bit of food.

"Hi..." you awkwardly waved with a small smile. He had the food in hand and walked over to you.

"It's been years, how are you?" He asked, standing close to you.

"I'm good! I'm here on a trip for the girl group I'm managing now" you didn't mean to brag right off the bat but it made you proud.

"Oh wow! That's amazing" he smiled. You only nodded.

"What about you? How have you been?" You asked after a brief second of silence. He started walking as he talked. You walked beside him as he told you about his music and movies that he's been working on. You laughed and joked with him until you two stopped at a park. You sighed and looked down.

"I...I uh heard that you were getting married" you brought up. He nodded silently.

"Congratulations" you added as you picked at your nails. A bad habit you had when you were anxious.

"Yeah, thanks...listen, I'm sorry-" he started but you stopped him.

"For not calling?" You asked. He closed his mouth, at a loss for words.

"It wasn't right, I know and I apologize...but you need to realize that I wasn't okay at the moment...SM was terrible to us and you know it"

He was right. You sighed and threw your wrapper in a trash can.

"I was your bestfriend, I was just trying to be there for you...and I had something so important to tell you but you were too selfish to even care" you popped off. You didn't mean to come off so angry, but this pent up anger was bubbling up at the surface.

"What did you have to tell me?" He disregarded everything else. It was like he knew what he did was wrong. And judging by your lackluster expression, he knew he wasn't getting through to you.

"It doesn't matter now, it's irrelevant" you muttered.

"If it wasn't then you wouldn't have brought it up" he added. Damn him, he was too smart. He could get anything out of you and you absolutely hated it.

"I had feelings for you...and you didn't love me back...you just left me behind and just acted like I never existed!" You stare up at him.

"I loved you too, (Y/n)" he said calmly. You gasped a bit. It confused you, why would he tell you this if he was getting married?

"Please forgive me and...we can start over" he grabbed your hand. You bit your cheek, tears threatening to spill from your eyes.

"We can't...You can't tell me that you love me when you're getting married, it's not right nor fair...things could've been different if you had just let me talk to you" you slipped your hands away.

"(Y/n) things can still be that way with us, after all these years I still think about you...I know you do too"

He was right, again. You sighed.

"Luhan, goodbye...I'm sorry but it can never happen between us...we lost our opportunities" you turned on your heels and left the area to your hotel. You cried when you got to your room. Sitting on the floor as the feeling of regret washed over you. The perfect opportunity was right in front of you and you turned your back on him. It could've felt so right to you, but in the moment if felt so wrong to even be with him.

Of course, you still love him and you always will. But, that last moment with him reminded you that he didn't deserve you. He hurt you immensely and disappeared from your life when you needed eachother the most.

You thought you needed him, or that you didn't want to be without him. He was the love of your life, and you wanted nothing but to wake up in his arms every morning. But, things just weren't meant to be.

Then it hit you, you were better than that. You stood up and looked at yourself in the bathroom mirror. The mascara running down your cheeks was quickly cleaned up. You took a deep breath and told yourself:

"I'm better off"

Damn it's been ages since I updated. I was thinking about my self worth while writing this. Being quarantined really makes you think about your life and the things you need to see/realize and change for the better... Anyways, I'm sorry if this wasn't what you expected, but enjoy anyways. Love you all 💕

-MARI