Chapter 13

- Chapter 13 -

Isabella Victoria

I sit at my desk, pull a sheet of paper to me, dip my quill in ink and begin to write.

    Dearest Father,

Since I am sure that you have not heard the news, I must tell you. On our first night in the palace, Sir Thomas Alby was assassinated. His Majesty has been trying to keep it under wraps. Do not worry father, no one else was hurt. We were all taken to safe rooms. That is when I figured out that my cousin John was staying at Ordet palace. He is good friends with the king. It is a joy to be able to speak with him in person again.

    The palace, other than the assassination, has been quite charming and wonderful. The food is most exquisite, but the gossip that happens at dinner is not always the best entertainment. Theodosia and Eliza are miracle workers when it comes to my outfits. I cannot believe what they can do with my hair and outfits in such a short amount of time. I have been speaking with the Princesa Lucia de Leon, Princesa of Safire. She is such a wonderful conversationalist. I have also met Lady Jane Stewart. She is a widow who helps in orphanages; she has agreed to take me to one of the orphanages so that I may help the children there.

    How has everything been at home? I truly hope that you are not getting lonely. If you are, make sure you ask Ludo or Gio to play cards with you. Perhaps you should visit Uncle Phillip Gifford at his home. Mama always loved the sea. I hope you will come visit the palace sometime.

All my love,

     Your daughter,

Victoria

I sprinkle a bit of sand over the ink, so it will dry faster and set it to the side. I wait a few minutes for the ink to dry. When it is dry I fold the letter and pour a bit of wax on the back and press the Parr seal into the wax. I address the letter and place it on the mailing tray that is sitting on my desk. I stand up from the desk and open the balcony doors. I walk out onto the balcony, welcoming the feeling of the warm sun on my face with the crisp wind blowing through my hair. I walk back into my chambers, and into the closet. I search through the section of hanging coats until I find a cream colored one. I quickly pull the coat on and button it over my dress. I close the balcony doors before leaving my chambers. I make my way through the hall trying to remember my way through the halls. When I make it to the main entrance I walk through the double doors and down the stairs to the palace grounds. I walk down the stairs on the right and continue towards the gardens.

<><><>

As I walk through the gardens I see the Mother's Garden. I walk towards the garden and enter it. Thoughts and memories at home filling my mind. Memories of the year at uncle Phillip's home come rushing back as I walked in the Mother's Garden. Trimming the rose plants with her, walking along the beach, staying up late at night on the balcony is watching the stars, and hearing stories of her childhood. As I walk lost in my thoughts, I walk directly into someone. I stumble back a few steps before looking up and realizing who I have walked into. The king has turned around and is facing me, my hand wrapped in his own. "I-I apologize. A thousand times over, I was not watching where I was going."

"It is alright Lady Isabella. It is the Mother's Garden, we now motherless children find many memories here."

"Yes, I have remembered many moments while walking through this garden."

He smiles and invites me to walk through the garden with him. I wrap my fingers around his elbow and walk alongside him. "Tell me, Your Majesty, do you often go on walks with noblewomen in the Mother's Garden?"