Chapter 28

King Edward

"Your Majesty, you are needed in the west wing."

"Thank you."

I grab my jacket off of the back of my chair, throw it on, and button it. I grab the crown off the corner of my desk and quickly place it on my head. I follow the footman out of my study and walk through the palace. Swarms of guards rush past me in all directions. When I reach the west wing, palace guards line the walls. Nobles peek out from behind palace guards that are standing in their doorways. Towards the end of the hall a group of guards are standing in a circle. I walk up to the circle of guards and see a man kneeling in the center of the circle.

"What is going on here soldier?"

"This man was found in the chambers of the Countess Joan d'Esree with a bloody knife in his hand and shoving monkshood into a large cut on the countess's arm. He had just finished cutting the juncture between the neck and shoulder."

"I see. What is his name?"

"He refused to tell us."

"Very well. Take him to the trial yard."

"Oh good Your Majesty, you're already here."

"Lawson, why are you here? Actually, it doesn't matter, call together the Asurian jury. They are needed in the trial yard immediately."

Lawson waddles down the hall, looking for the jury's rooms. The guards haul the assassin onto his feet and begin to drag him down the hall as he fights against them. "Please, spare me! It was not my plan! My name is Louis VonParte. Please!"

The man's voice fades away and the bell tower begins to toll. The bell is rung three times. The trial begins in forty five minutes. I begin to quickly walk back to my chambers.

<><><>

I quickly change into more formal wear and leave my chambers. I walk through the halls to the trial yard entrance. I walk through the open doorway and am blinded momentarily by the sunlight. I walk up the stone steps to the throne that sits across from the execution block. Louis VonParte stands in front of the execution block, surrounded by guards. The Asurian Jury walks into the trial yard and sit on the stone seating. A tall, lean man walks to the center of the trial yard and begins to speak.

"Asurian Jury, the convicted man is Louis VonParte. He is thirty two and married. He is from the country of Imon. He is convicted of murdering Sir Thomas Alby and the Countess Joan d'Esree. Asura asks you to deliberate honestly and quickly."

The jury rises from their seats and walks out of the trial yard and into the palace. An hour passes as we wait in the trial yard for the jury to return. Guards stand next to a stone pyre holding straw. The heavy presence of the executioner lies behind me. The Asurian Jury walks into the trial yard and takes their seats on the stone seating.

"Jury of Asura, what is your verdict?"

"Guilty."

"Louis VonParte, You have been found guilty by the country of Asura of the assassinations of the Countess Joan d'Esree and Sir Thomas Alby. The sentence is death by being burned at the stake. VonParte: according to custom you have the right to speak once more, do you have any last words?"

The man looks up at me, no emotion lies on his face, "Tell my wife I love her."

I nod to the men holding the straw, and they begin to build a pyre in the stone table. The guards walk VonParte over to the stone table. The guards and VonParte walk up the stone stairs, they stand in the straw and tie him to the stake. The guards walk down the stone steps, the executioner takes his torch and buries it in the straw, setting the hay ablaze. The nobles stand on either side of my throne, watching the man burn. I stand up from my throne and leave the trial yard, nobles following me or staying behind to watch the assassin die at his fiery grave.

A/N: The WATTYS open today!