Chapter 35

King Edward

"Your Majesty, the prisoner is ready for you."

"Thank you, Marten I will be there in a moment."

He bows and turns away, walkes back down the lamp lit hall. I take the bloody handkerchief out of my pocket and stare at the blood; allowing the calm to fill me. I quickly and carefully refold the handkerchief and place it in my pocket before walking down the hall.

<><><>

I fix a calm confident look onto my face as I walk into the cell. "His name is Phillip Benjamin Wyard, he is twenty-seven years old, he is from Asura, but has no living family. He has refused to tell us anything about the attempt, but said that he was looking for an Isabel."

"How long did it take to get the truth?"

"I believe it was close to two hours sir."

"Well then, let's get to it; I'm very busy and I don't want it to take that long. Mr. Phillip Benjamin Wyard you are going to play by my rules and maybe I'll decide to lessen your sentence. Have you been trained in the art of assassination?"

"It doesn't take special lessons to learn how to kill."

"How did you acquire these skills?"

"There are people all around the world, Your Majesty, that you should be hunting down instead of me."

"I take it that you have no wish to divulge that information."

"You would be correct."

"Very well, who sent you, Wyard?"

"No one you'd care to know."

"You so boldly assume that I do not care when members of noble houses are attacked in my home."

"It was not in your home."

"Asura is my home."

"You do not seem to care when the weak die."

"I do all that I can, being the mere mortal that I am. Who sent you?"

He laughs to himself, "Who said anyone sent me?"

"Then who were you told to kill?"

"That Castile bitch."

"The dauphine Isabel Castile, well you hit the wrong woman and have made many people very angry. So who sent you?"

"Again you ask the question I have refused to answer, why?"

"I ask the questions Wyard."

"Does your mind ask them or does another part of you, little king."

"There is no need for me to dignify your questions with answers; when you have already told me almost everything I wish to know."

"Almost everything? I see I am still of value."

"Not necessarily. I find Phillip Benjamin Wyard guilty of crimes against the crown of Safire and Asura. Have the man sent to the death cells."

"For how long Majesty?"

"Until I decide to kill him."

"Yes, Your Majesty."

The guards salute as I walk out of the cell. As I walk out of the dungeons and hear my name being called, "Edward! Edward! Where is my cousin?"

"Slow down John and start over."

"Where is my cousin? I heard something happened to her and the Princesa."