Chapter 20

Isabella Victoria

I close the door to my chambers behind me as I leave to meet Lady Jane Stewart. I walk through the hall clutching the basket in my hands close to my skirts. When I reach the main hall, Lady Jane Stewart is waiting for me.

"Good morning Lady Jane."

"Good morning Lady Isabella, I see you have brought more supplies."

"Yes, Eliza and Theoodsia made some capes and even more bonnets and hats."

"That is wonderful. Please thank them for me."

"I will."

"The carriage should be arriving any minute now. Let us be off."

As we turn to begin walking, the king appears and walks towards us. "Lady Parr, may I steal Lady Stewart away for a minute?"

"Of course. I will wait for her in the carriage."

I walk away from the king and Lady Jane, and walk through the halls to the main entrance of the palace. I walk through the large double doors of the palace and descend down the white marble stairs. The carriage is waiting at the bottom of the staircase. The footman opens the carriage door. I enter the carriage, set my basket on the seat next to me, and wait for Lady Jane to come out of the palace. A few minutes pass before Lady Jane walks out of the palace. She walks down the stairs and the carriage door is opened by the footman. Lady Jane enters the carriage, sits across from me and sets the basket she is holding on the seat next to her. The carriage door closes and then the carriage jolts forward. "Where are we going today?"

"Walking through the streets. Helping those who need it, orphans or not."

"Now I wish I brought something other than the tools to make the dolls."

"It's alright Lady Isabella, there are still many orphans and children who should love to have a doll."

"Thank you Lady Jane. I still wish that I would have brought more so that I could have done more."

"It is alright Lady Isabella, there will be more trips to come."

"Indeed there will be, no matter where I am."

"I am glad you will be continuing to help the poor with me."

"As am I, Lady Jane."

The carriage jolts to a stop, and the door opens. The full effect of the city streets hits me. The smell of sewers, fish, and bread weave through the air. We begin to walk through the streets, our baskets clutched in our hands. People brush past us as we walk and watch for the poor. As we pass adults living on the street, Jane hands them coins and bread. I feel a tug on my skirt and quickly turn around. A small girl hides her hands behind her back and looks at her bare feet.

"What is your name, little girl?"

"Katy."

I crouch down so I can see her face.

"Where is your family?"

"Gone."

"How?"

"They were taken away a long time ago."

"I am so sorry Katy. Would you like a doll?"

"I can have a doll?!"

"Of course. I will make one for you."

I offer her my hand and she takes it. We walk away from the crowd to the side of the road. I set my basket on the cobblestone road and take a purple ball of yarn and a small block of wood out of my basket and begin to make the body of the doll. I slide the yarn off of the block and create the torso and head of the doll. Then I begin to create the arms and hands of the doll. I attach the arms to the doll and Katy hands me a square of fabric for the doll's skirt. I quickly attach the skirt to the doll and hand it to Katy.

"Thank you miss."

"Oh, your welcome dear."

I hand the girl one of my hairpins and she runs off with the doll clutched in her hands. Jane walks up to me, and we continue to hand out bread, money, and creating dolls.

<><><>

We stop for a moment and see that our baskets are empty. "Isabella, we must stop in a bakery for a moment. We need to collect some more bread so that we can continue handing out food on our way back to the carriage."

"Of course. Let us go find the nearest bakery."

We begin to walk towards the side of the road. We pass show stores, tailors and taverns. Finally we come to the front of a bakery. We walk inside and the smell of freshly baked bread and tarts fill my nose. We walk to the counter of the shop. "How may I help you ladies?"

"Can we buy twenty loaves of bread?"

"Of course. Thank you. Let me fetch them for you."

The man behind the counter scurries around the back of the bakery, grabbing loaves of bread and placing them on the counter in front of us. When all twenty loaves are placed on the counter Jane and I each place ten gold coins on the counter and place the bread in our baskets. We leave the shop giving out food to the poor as we walk back to the carriage. More children tug on our skirts begging for food and comfort. We hug the children and hand them bread. I use the last of the yarn and fabric to create small dolls for some of the children. When we return to the carriage the footman opens the carriage door and we step inside the carriage. We set our empty baskets on the seats next to us. The door closes behind us and the carriage jolts forward. "Thank you for your help Lady Isabella."

"It was very eye opening."

"Good. I'm glad you are continuing to help the poor."

"I will always try to help."

<><><>

We reach the castle, and the carriage jolts to a stop. The carriage door opens, and a crowd of nobles are waiting at the palace entrance. We step out of the carriage, and the nobles whispers begin. "Look at them, in peasant clothing."

"I heard they were walking around with the poor and sick!"

"Why don't they just throw money around?"

"It would be less dirty."

"Welcome back ladies."

"Good afternoon Your Majesty."

"I pray your adventure went well?"

"It did."

"Wonderful news, now you two must join the rest of us for lunch. We are eating in the largest gazebo on the palace grounds."

"Thank you Your Majesty, but I must retire for the rest of the afternoon."

"Of course Lady Jane Stewart. I pray you find the rest you require."

She curtsies and walks into the palace. I walk though the palace doors after her and hear a voice calling behind me. "Lady Parr!"

I turn around, "Ah! Your Majesty, can I help you?"

"Lady Parr, will you be joining us for lunch?"

"I think not today Your Majesty, I need to rest from my work today."

"Of course Lady Isabella. I pray you find the rest you need."

"Thank you Your Majesty."

I turn and continue to walk back to my chambers.

A/N: 24 DAYS UNTIL THE WATTYS OPEN!!!!!