Chapter 41

Isabella Victoria

"I have decided that there is only to be three contestants left. Everyone else will be going home. The three noble women that will be staying at Ordet and in this competition are Lady Isabella Parr, Duchess Anna Deucht, and Princess Akane Okami. The rest of you are expected to have left the palace within the next seventy two hours. Thank you for your efforts. I will be speaking to a select few of you within the next few hours."

I watch as a few noble women run out of the throne room. Gasps and whispers fill the air.

"A lady, a duchess and a crown princess?"

"One of them is going to lose their head."

"The lady?"

"Oh no, she's calm and calculated. I place my bet that she will win."

"I say the duchess will win."

"Ah, but the king will be the best off for his country in marrying the crown princess."

"I don't think he will"

"Why not?"

"He'll choose the one who is a friend to him."

"Then why doesn't he go marry the Princesa of Safire? They seem very close."

"Don't you know anything about Asurian history? His Majesty already almost married the Princesa, and then married the late queen. Now he and the Princesa are just really good friends."

I watch as the king stands from his throne and walks into the crowd. He walks towards me and stops right next to me, "Isabella, two o'clock, today, courtyard. I wish to talk to you. Please come."

Then he walks off through the rest of the crowd and out the double doors.

<><><>

The request from the king echoes in my mind.

"Theodosia." I call for my maid.

She exits the bathing chamber, smoothing her apron, "Yes miss?"

"Will you prepare a new gown? I am going on a walk with His Majesty at two."

"Of course, Miss."

<><><>

"Miss, it is time to get ready."

"Thank you Eliza."

I close the book and follow her into the dressing room. I slip my feet out of my shoes and Anna begins to unbutton the back of my dress. Theodosia unbuttons the back of the deep purple dress. Anna pulls the grey dress off of me. Theodosia checks the laces of the corset and then begins to pull the purple dress over my body. She and Anna begin to button the 36 buttons running down my back. When they are finished I slip my feet into a pair of black boots and tie the laces. Eliza quickly checks the low bun that she made this morning. She adds a few diamond hairpins and then sends me off. I walk through the halls and down staircases. The door to the courtyard sits in front of me. I take a steady breath before opening the door and walking down into the courtyard, towards His Majesty.

"Welcome, Lady Isabella. Please, do join me."

<><><>

The King plucks a flower from a bush, twirling it in between his fingers as we walk. "Tell me something you've never told me before."

"I don't know what I would say."

"Alright, what color are your eyes?"

"My father always said that they were the color of a stormy ocean. Then, he would say that God was quite smart for making my eyes the color of the ocean, when I love it so much."

"I must agree with your father."

"Most people do, including myself. I must ask you something."

"What do you wish to know?"

"Why eliminate so many people the day after Chríste?"

"Would you believe me if I said that I didn't know? It just came to me and I knew I needed to eliminate all of those women."

"That makes sense."

"You really do understand people."

"No, I don't."

"Then it's your heart."

"My heart?"

He smiles, "Yes, you are a very loving person."

"And Lucia would say that you're falling."

"And if I wish to fall?"

"Then I wish you luck."

"Why would that be?"

"I do not think I am a very easy person to love."

"Oh you are so cruel to yourself."

"How I wish that was the truth."

A/N: 3 chapters to go! Thank you fro reading. Please vote. Love, M