Chapter 24

Isabella Victoria

I sit on a stool in the makeshift dressing room. Eliza curls my hair and piles all of my hair over my left shoulder. She pins the curls in place with golds and pearl hairpins. She clasps a gold and diamond necklace around my neck and places a box of rings in front of me to choose from. I pick a simple, very thin, silver ring out of the box and slide it onto my left middle finger. I grab an elaborate spiral, gold ring and slide it onto my right ring finger. I stand from my chair, smoothing the hooped off white skirt as I walk to the full length mirror.

    The full effect of the off-white and gold gown hits me. The poofy white lace sleeves with gold detailing running down my arms are cuffed at the wrist. The edges of the white strips of fabric running over my shoulders are lined with gold lace. The bodice of the gown fits against my torso like a glove. Gold and white lacework falls down the hooped skirt of the gown. My hair is curled and piled over my left shoulder. Strings of gold pearls are pinned into my curls, adding elegance to my freshly curled hair. I hug my maids, they hand me a card with my name on it and I leave the temporary dressing room that had been set up. As I walk back to the ballroom John runs up to me.

"Hello cousin."

"Hello John."

"I am glad I caught you on your way to the ball."

"As am I, John."

"Now will you tell your favorite cousin what your costume was?"

"No."

"Isabella."

"What? You could tell someone, and it will ruin the lure of a masquerade."

"You wound me cousin."

"And I apologize one thousand times over, but I cannot tell you."

"Very well, dear cousin. May I escort you to the ball?"

"Of course John."

He offers his arm to me as we approach the ballroom. I take John's offered arm and walk up to the doorway. We hand our cards to the footman and stop walking for a few seconds. "Presenting the Lady Isabella Parr and the Lord John Gifford."

We walk through the doorway back into the ballroom. Some of the decorations in the ballroom have been replaced with more elegant decorations and candles. A large chandelier has been lit in the center of the ceiling. Elegant and elaborate gowns fill the room. Everyone is showing off their wealth and status. Gold, silver, and gemstones flicker in the candlelight. The king is sitting on his throne with an empty throne next to him. His left elbow is sitting on the armrest and his hand rests on his forehead. Conversations flood throughout the room. The last few names of the noblemen and noblewomen are called over the conversations and then the orchestra begins to play again. I look over the ballroom and begin to look for familiar faces. As I look over the room, I notice the Princesa and the light blue dress she is wearing, I walk over to the Princesa Lucia de Leon.

"Princesa your dress is gorgeous."

"I thank you Lady Isabella. Tell me, my dear, what do you think of His Majesty."

"Oh, I do not know for sure."

"Please darling, everyone has an opinion."

"Of course they do, but we do not need to share them."

"But now I must know Isabella."

"Very well. I think he is a kind man, he is also a good conversationalist."

"You're leaving information out. What do you think of his looks?"

"Looks aren't everything Lucia."