Chapter 19

King Edward

The doors to the dining hall close behind me as I walk down the hall. I begin to walk back to my study. I close the door behind me and see another stack of boxes sitting on my desk. I open the set of new boxes and begin to read through them. Records of expenses and military dispatches in Eldsar. Brodie walks into my study carrying a stack of mail on a tray. He takes the stack of mail off of the tray he holds and places it onto the mail tray on my desk. I take the first letter from the stack of mail Brodie brought in. I break the seal of the letter, unfold it, and begin to read.

October 13th 1605

Your Most Royal Majesty,

King Edward Westwood I,

When my eldest daughter, Lady Gabriella Acciaio, returned from your home, Ordet Palace, towards the end of last week; she was extremely distressed. As her father I can only assume the worst had happened, and that in your short letter, explaining why she was going home, that you left out many details. She also told me that you did not tell her why she needed to leave Ordet Palace and return home. Again as her father I must assume the worst.

Fortunately, my daughter informed me that Sir Thomas Alby, one of your ministers, had been killed the day before she went home. She also said that his death was no accident based on the rumors that had been flowing through the palace. I can now assume that you were looking out for her safety. I thank you for looking out for her.

I now ask that you allow her to return to your home and continue competing. After all it has been a little while since the death of Sir Thomas Alby and the palace should be quite safe if you have taken safety measures.

Best Regards,

Lord Ludovicco Acciaio

I pull a sheet of paper towards me, dip my quill in ink and begin to write a response to Lord Ludovicco.

October 16th 1605

Lord Ludovicco Acciaio,

One of the noblewomen died last night. I sent your daughter home because I have no wish to marry her. This is a competition, I must have a new queen. I am following the instructions in my late wife's will. I bid you a good day. I pray your daughter finds a husband.

His Most Royal Majesty,

King Edward Westwood I

I stamp my seal at the bottom of the page and set it to the side to dry for a few minutes. When it is dry I fold the letter, stamp a wax seal on the back and address the front. A knock sounds at the door as I place the letter in the mail pile and open a new letter. "I am not to be disturbed."

The door opens, "I am sorry Your Majesty, but this is urgent."

I look up from the letter and see Henry Lawson standing in the middle of my study.

"What is so urgent Henry?"

"You are to have a private lunch with the Duchess Anna Deucht. You must write to her requesting her presence, for lunch in the North Lounge."

"Why is that Henry, and why are you planning events for me?"

"You need to choose a new wife, nobles are dying, you're sending people home, and you're not making any effort."

"Lawson."

"Yes, Your Majesty?"

"You are so very close to being dismissed. I keep myself in check if I were you."