Chapter 27

I take off my helmet and place it on my cot. As quickly and as quietly as possible, I strip out of my armor and place it on top of the thin blanket. I slide my feet into a pair of stolen slippers and then fumble with the frame of the cot. My fingers find the pouch of monkshood, I wrap my fingers around the pouch and pull it out from its hiding place. I slide a pair of gloves on and open the pouch, revealing the purple flowers. I grab my knife off of the cot and attach the pouch of monkshade to my belt. The door is silent as I push it open and walk into the antechamber. I slip past the curtain covering the archway to the countess's bedchamber. The sleeping figure of the Countess Joan d'Esree lies on the right side of the bed. The faint scent of wine sifts through the air. A spilled bottle of wine lies on the bedside table. I slink towards the right side of the bed and move her arm away from her body. I clap my hand over her mouth, press the tip of my knife into her wrist and cut up the center of her arm. I open the pouch hanging at my belt, pull some of the monkshood flowers out and press them into the cut. Her eyes burst open and raw fear fills her eyes. I grab another few flowers and stuff them into the cut, the blood is streaming out of her arm. Realization settles into sets into her eyes. A scream erupts from her throat. The sound of boots echoes in my ears. I quickly slice the juncture between her neck and shoulder. Six guards enter the room and two of them rush towards me.

A/N: to quote Sabaa Tahir "but literally murder is so fun." PLease remember to vote or comment. Love, M