Chapter 17

-Chapter 17-

King Edward

I awake to the sound of a woman yelling at someone. I slip out of bed and grab my shirt from the chair in my bed chamber. I pull the shirt over my shoulders and down my torso, and open the door. "Lovell, what is going on?"

"Your Majesty! Forgive us for waking you. This woman was trying to learn where Lord John Gifford was."

For the first time I look to see who Lovell was speaking about. Isabella is standing off to the side, the simple blue gown she is wearing only darkening and amplifying the angry red blush in her face. She drops into a deep curtsy. "A thousand apologies Your Majesty."

"What did you need Lady Isabella?"

"I was trying to find Lord John."

"Leave us."

"But Your Majesty-"

"Lovell, I gave orders, I expect them to be followed."

"Of course, Your Majesty."

The guards bow and walk to the ends of the hall and stand at full attention. I turn to face her. "Why do you need to find John?"

"I found Lady Francis Dudley dead."

"Where?"

"The main staircase."

I run my hand through my black hair and sigh. "Alright. Thank you Isabella. Wait here, I'll escort you to John's room."

I walk back into my room and close the door. I tie the laces on my shirt, pull a jacket over my shoulder and button it. I walk into my closet and grab a pair of boots. I slide my feet into the boots and lace up the sides. I grab my sword and strap it to my belt. I open the door to my chambers and close the door behind me. Isabella begins to walk beside me down the hall. "Lovell, send guards to block off the main staircase. No one but myself is to enter the main staircase until further orders."

"Yes Your Majesty. Ratcliff, collect palace guards and block off the main staircase. No one but the king is to enter."

"Yes, Lieutenant."

The guard runs off, looking for spare guards. Lady Isabella and I continue to walk down the hallway. After a while the questions burning in my mind come to words. "Can you tell me anything else about Lady Francis Dudley when you found her?"

"She had a knife buried in her heart. There was a lot of blood covering her. Her light blue dress was stained a deep red. The blood seemed a few hours old. I'm not really sure."

"Thank you."

We walk for another few minutes in silence, passing through the halls and down a staircase. Maids curtsy and palace guards toup the brims of their helmets as we pass them. We pass the portrait of my father and turn to the right. I stop in front of a door and Isabella stops nearly a few seconds later. I knock on John's door and wait for it to open. A few moments later the door opens and John appears in the doorway. "Your Majesty, what are you doing here?"

"Your cousin needed to speak with you."

"Isabella, what is this urgent matter we must speak of?"

"Lady Francis Dudley is dead."

"How so cousin?"

"She had a knife buried in her heart."

"Felo de se or murder?"

"I don't know."

"It's alright Isabella. Come on in."

I watch her as she takes a few steps closer to John and as he pulls her to him and holds her tightly. I watch as the tension falls from her shoulders. "Take care of her John, I need to check the scene where Lady Francis is. Lady Isabella, where on the staircase did you find Lady Francis Dudley?"

"Near the middle, close the potted trees."

"Thank you. Stay with your cousin."

"I will."

I turn and walk away from John's room. I turn to the left and pass my father's portrait. Then I continue down the hall until I reach the staircase that connects to the main palace staircase. I walk up the short and gradual set of stairs. When I reach the main set of stairs, I see the body of Lady Francis Dudley to the left of me. I walk towards her body and stop when I am next to it. I notice the angle her arms are lying at. Then I notice the angle of the knife, it has been shoved underneath her breastbone. "Jowchet! Come here. I need your interpretation on something."

He runs across the hall to me. "How may I help you Your Majesty?"

"Does the angle of this knife look like felo de se?"

He crouches down next to her corpse and wraps his hand around the knife to measure. Then, he takes his own knife out of his belt and holds it to his chest. Mirroring the angle of the knife in Lady Francis Dudley's chest. "It looks very much like felo de se sire."

"But?"

"I do not believe a Lady would have such a knife as which was used. The knife looks worn in."

"You are correct. Shall we call it felo de se as of now? We will never know the habits of our late Francis Dudley."

"Yes. It is felo de se. I shall call for the official examiner to check her in the hospital ward."

"Good man, Jowchet."

He walks off and I begin to walk back to John's chambers.

A/N: felo de se is Latin for felon of one's self as in suicide. 

Who is your favorite character as of now?

All my love, M