Chapter 22

King Edward

I awake from my short nap and rise from my bed. I cross my room and walk into my dressing room. I quickly strip myself of the clothes I am wearing and pull on the breeches that have been set out. I grab the black sword belt that has been set out and put it on. I grab the white linen shirt off of it's hanger and pull it over my head and tie the laces at the neck. I button the cuff of the shirt, only emphasising the puffiness of the sleeves on the linen shirt. I sit on the single chair in the dressing room and pull the knee length black boots onto my feet. I button the sides of the boots closed and stand again. "Your Majesty, I have come to do your hair."

"No need Anne. I will do it myself. You have my permission to withdraw."

The servant girl leaves my chamber, and I look at the mirror in front of me. I sit back in the chair and grab the comb from the open box sitting on the vanity. I rake the comb through my hair a few times. A gold powder sits in the box but I ignore it and stand. I slide the vest off of the hanger and pull it over my shoulder and button it closed. I slide the one shoulder cape off of the hanger and attach it to the matching vest I am wearing. I look at the shelf to my right and see the elaborate mask sitting on the shelf. I pick up the mask and tie the black laces around my head. I open the hatbox sitting on the shelf and take the black hat out and set it on the shelf. I take the large, white feather off of the shelf and stick it into the hat. I place it on my head and look in the mirror. I look like a musketeer. I lift my rapier off of the hook it is sitting on and slide it onto the gold scabbard attached to my belt. I straighten my mask one last time and leave my chambers.

Isabella Victoria

I awake from the nap Anna told me to take. I push the covers back and slide out of bed. I walk across my bedchamber and into the main chamber. "Oh good you're awake. It's nearly two o'clock. We need all three hours to get you ready and in disguise."

She grabs my hand and pulls me into the bathing chamber. I slip out of the nightgown and pull the bathing robe on. I walk into the pool and Anna leaves so that I may wash. I quickly wash and then calls for Anna. She comes back in and fills a bucket of water and begins to wash my hair. She takes a vial of mint oil and begins to untangle the knots from my hair. When she is finished she pours another bucket of water over my head. Eliza walks in and takes Anna's place. Eliza begins to wring the water out of my hair and brush it. When my hair is halfway dry, she ties it up into a bun. I walk up the stairs of the pool. Eiza hands me a dry robe and underwear. I quickly dress and throw the dry robe on. Eliza takes the wet robe from the floor and hangs it next to the doorway of the dressing room. "Oh good. Come come miss Isabella. We have a lot of work to do."

Theodosia whisks me into the dressing room. The rod hanging in between the two shelves in the dressing room is filled with clothing. Anna takes the robe from my shoulders and Theodosia begins to pull clothing over my body. She ties laces closed, buttons the petticoats, and ties thin poofy skirts around my waist. She then takes the corset off of the shelf and wraps it around my body and buttons the front. I take even, deep breaths as Theodosia pulls the laces tighter. When she is finished, I sit on the edge of the chair in the dressing room for a few minutes. I stand again as Theodosia unties the silver laces on the back of the ball gown hanging on the rod. She slides the gown off the hanger and walks the few steps to me. I squat down as far as I can as Anna and Theodosia pull the gown over my head and my shoulders. I rise from my squatting position, and they pull the gown over my body. As Theodosia slides the gown over my body, the perfectly fitted gown hugs my torso. The skirt flares out creating a bell shape around me. Theodosia walks behind me and begins to pull the laces on the back of the gown closed. The tugs on the laces pull me back slightly. She ties the laces and hides the ends in my gown. I return to my seat in front of the mirror. Eliza has thrown a veil over so that I cannot see my reflection. Eliza places a towel over my shoulder and unbinds by hair. She begins to brush my hair again. She places the brush on the vanity. I close my eyes and feel the tugs at my scalp. I open my eyes for a moment and see Anna set a box on the vanity. She opens the box and scolds me for looking. I close my eyes again and feel my hair lifted off of my back. I feel hairpins gently press into my scalp. A heavy object is pinned to the back of my head. Then Eliza asks me to stand up. I open my eyes and she turns the chair. I sit again, and a bowl of dark blue power is in her hand. She orders me to close my eyes and begins to place it on my eyelids. I open my eyes and Anna, Eliza and Theodosia escort me into my bedchamber. "Close your eyes."

I close my eyes and lightly place my hands over them as well. A pair of hands find my shoulders and another grabs my hands. The people help me walk forward and through the room. The hands on my shoulder leave and pull my hands away from my eyes. Then someone places a mask on my face and pins it to my hair. "You may look in the mirror now my lady."

I open my eyes and look at my reflection. A gasp escapes my mouth as the detail of the gown sinks in. A navy blue silk ballgown is wrapped around my small frame. Diamonds are stitched onto the gown as constellations, not noticeable until the light hits them. The silver lacework looks like stars are melting down the bodice and skirt of the gown. A sash made of silver lacework is wrapped around my waist. A matching navy blue mask adorns my face, diamonds are sewn into the mask in the shapes of constellations. Small diamond hair pins attach the mask to my hair keeping it on my face. Elia holds up a mirror behind me so that I may see my hair. A silver crescent moon rests on the back of my head in the middle of an elaborate crown braid. Eliza has wrapped thin silver chains around the braid, adding a powerful look to the hairstyle she used. I take another, closer look at my face and see the dark blue power lies on my eyelids. "You look like one of the ancient goddesses of the night my lady."

"Thank you Theodosia. Thank you, all of you. I cannot believe this. You are miracle workers."

"Oh you flatter us miss."

"I mean it, it's so mesmerizing. I can see the constellations sewn into the mask and ball gown. Every little detail is perfect."

A knock sounds at the door. Anna leaves my bedchamber to open the door. Eliza, Theodosia and I follow her into the receiving chamber. Anna opens the door and steps aside. A young man steps into my chambers wearing a black cape and a matching mask. A simple crown rests upon his head. He bows elaborately before speaking. "My lady, might I have the great honor of escorting you to the ball tonight?"

"You may, kind sir."

I take his hand and walk out of my chambers. I look back at my ladies and see the excited looks on their faces. I shoot a smile at them and close the door to my chambers behind me. I walk alongside the man in black. "I thank you for coming to escort me to the ballroom. I am afraid that I have not yet had the pleasure of seeing the ballroom."

"Ah, Lady Isabella, do not fear, it is the largest room in the entire palace. King Henry the second nearly put himself in debt building the ballroom. The glass windows, the elaborate doors leading into the room and into the gardens, there is an entire section devoted to eating, and another section just for the musicians, he has a place for two thrones in the ballroom. It is an exquisite and ornate chamber."

"Have you been in the ballroom often?"

"No, Lady Isabella."

"I must say, the fact that you are calling me by my name completely defeats the purpose of this ball being a masquerade."

"Of course Lady Isabella, but it was my orders to escort you to the ballroom. Do not fear, no one will know who you are."

"Thank you. Who are you?"

"It is Brodie ma'am."

"I should have known."

We approach a large, elaborate doorway. The marble Corinthian arch forming the doorway only begins the look of the room. I walk through the doorway and gasp. The beauty, elegance, and architecture of the room overwhelms the eyes. Corinthian pillars are around the dance floor, sectioning off the different parts of the room. Directly in front of us, on the other side of the room lies two empty thrones. Music from the orchestra begins to play as if the king has just signaled for it to begin.

A/N: I forgot how much I love the upcoming chapters. Double update next week. Please remember to vote or comment. All my love, -M