Chapter 42

Isabella Victoria

January 3rd 1606

Isabella,

Please join me in the North Parlor at nine, the one where we ate dinner the first time. I have a matter that I wish to discuss with you. Thank you,

-Edward

I slide my silver pocket watch out of my dress pocket and look at the time. 8:36. I snap the pocket watch shut and slide it into my pocket. Then, I begin to unfold and refold the note Edward sent as I wait for the right time to leave my chambers. I set the note on my desk and slide my hands over the deep purple dress I am wearing, smoothing the fabric and calming myself. A few minutes pass before I decide that I can no longer wait and leave my chambers.

<><><>

I open the door to the north parlor and see Edward looking at the fire, his back turned to me.

"You asked to see me, Edward?"

He turns to face me, shadows cast across his face, "Yes, I wanted to speak with you about something. Please do join me by the fire, the doorway creates such a draft."

I close the door and walk across the room, stopping when I am next to Edward.

"What did you wish to discuss?"

He takes a deep breath and offers me his hands. I place my hands in his own and he gently holds them. "Isabella Parr, I know that I have only known you for three months. I know that there is much for me to still learn about you. I know that there are walls I must earn the right to break through. But, I do know, right here and now, that I want to spend the rest of my life with you. So I humbly ask you, as a man and not a ruler of some country, will you spend the rest of your life with me?"

A smile forms on my lips, "I need you to answer one thing for me first."

"What is it that you wish to know Isabella?"

"Who were you?"

"When?"

"At the ball?"

He takes a step closer to me and moves his mouth next to my ear, "Of course. What is your answer, my queen?"

"You were..."

"The Lord of Light? Yes."

"How long have you known that I was the night?"

"A few weeks."

"How?"

"You love the night, very few know that about you. It wasn't too hard to figure out after the first private dinner we had."

"I suppose that I shouldn't be too surprised. You are greatly underestimated."

"I thank you, Isabella."

"Oh, forgive me I never answered your question. I do think all of Thera and all other countries will need to be on their toes..." a quizzical look fills his eyes, "I do not think they will be able to beat such a set of strong willed minds."

A look of joy and relief floods his face, "I do believe you are right about that."

He bows his rest to rest his forehead against my own, a soft yet joyful smile resting on his lips. He moves to try and press his lips to mine but I turn my face to the side laughing.

"No kisses until the wedding."

"My dear, you're going to make me wait three months?"

"You could always move the wedding up."

"Not possible I'm afraid."

"Oh my poor fiance doesn't realize that I am teasing him."

"You are very lucky that you're just teasing me. I wouldn't know what I would do without my lovely fiancée for three months."

"Just be glad my father won't want me to come back home and live at Caralein for those three months."

"True. I think I would miss your boldness and the oh so sweet kindness far too much."

"And you think you are far too good at sugaring the truth with love and affection."

"And what is the truth, my dear?"

"That you cannot go another day without seeing my beautifully scarred face."

"That is quite true my dear," he wraps his arms loosely around me and rests his chin on the top of my head. I turn my head to the side and rest it against his chest, wrap my arms around him and stare into the blazing fire.

 A/N: Awwww. Two Chapters Left. Stick around until the end, big things are happening. Thank you for reading. Love, M