1

1. Graves, witches, comfort

Klaus's hand gripped the wooden shovel as he picked up the chunks of dirt and placed them into the hole. The night was deep cobalt and the tiny white stars looked like handfuls of dust littered across the sky. The wind nipped at Caroline's nose and the tears in her sky blue eyes where shedding across her eyelids border. 

Klaus turned away from the grave he had just covered and flipped to look at the broken girl in front of him, sat atop a grey rock. His eyes held anger but for the sake of Caroline, he tried to keep it in check. Sticking his shovel in the dirt he gave an aggravated smirk and said,

"There. 12 graves for 12 witches. Like it never happened. Only it did happen, and now Silas has everything he needs to open the gates to hell on earth." Klaus's piercing azure eyes held a fire that made caroline tremble. He'd never looked at her this way. He'd never been so infuriated with her and it made her body feel splutteringly sick.

Shakily standing up caroline walked towards him, her tears filled eyes locking with his, her stance defiant. Raising her chin slightly she inhaled through her runny nose and swallowed the salty tears, mustering up all her strength caroline tried to speak evenly, "You were just gonna let Bonnie die."

Klaus's dark eyes shot her light ones down in daggers, his lips forming a sickening and sadistic smirk, "I know arithmetic isn't your strong point, but one is still less than 12." He spat the words at her with bite.

"Yeah, but that one is my best friend!" Caroline's defense was weak, and she knew it, but if she admitted her fault then she would be admitting what she had done. And caroline didn't think she could stomach it

"You tell yourself whatever you need to so you can sleep at night," Klaus said, watching as she let out a shaky breath and her tough facade fell weakly into a look of pure shock on her face.

Caroline's pale skin seemed to grow even more burnished as realization dawned on her. The small box she locked in her brain opening and bringing to light what she'd done. Her mouth fell limp and her bottom lip trembled with intensity, it seemed almost to be vibrating against her ever-lightening cheeks that looked sickly. Bright eyes that once adorned her face transformed into weak grey ones that had a slickwater covering.

"I just killed 12 people..." caroline trailed off as all emotion vanished from her face, leaving in its place a numb pit that spread against her chest and deep within her brain, a fuzzy memory of sorts that lacked all sense and feeling.

Klaus's face turned even more sinister if possible, though this time a new feeling was fighting against him, guilt. The original felt awful for the beautiful woman in front of him. So broken and guilt-ridden that nothing else mattered, not even when she seemed to inch closer, seeking out a comfort he desperately wanted to give. But he didn't, he pulled away from her.

"Hey. Hey. You look like you're in need of comfort. Why don't you find someone less terrible you can relate to?" Klaus said, his tone harsh and cold.

Caroline's face falls. Her eyes stoop and she feels a large clump lodge into her throat, scratching her and making speech impossible, "I-I thought you were capable of being saved," she started, her voice slowly regaining its steady melody, "But you aren't."

Klaus flashed up to her in an instant, pinning her body to the large oak tree and placing his hands on either side of Caroline's shoulders, pinning her in a loose but firm grip, daring her to try and escape, "And I suppose you think you are? You just killed twelve witches, and though I couldn't care less about 12 insignificant lives I know you do, and I also know you hate yourself for what you did. That's the difference between us love, you regret your choices, I do not." He whispered the words against her neck, sending violent shivers to spread throughout her, nestling themselves deep into her core.

As Klaus removed himself from her caroline felt shame as she saw his walled up eyes. They felt distant, unrecognizable from the ones she had become close with, the ones she adored. she desperately wished she could take back her previous statements, but she couldn't.

"I know you think love is a weakness but you know damn well you would've killed a hundred witches to save your siblings!" Caroline Shouted, suddenly feeling defensive and the need to defend herself, though her words still faltered as they left her. Leaving her  mouth dry and numbing

Klaus seemed to think about this, his brows furrowing as he said, "You've unleashed hell on earth." He growled, but his eyes seemed to crumble away a bit of his harshness

"Hell was already here when you entered mystic falls." Caroline retorted, crossing her arms as he took a step back to her.

"You don't seem to mind me being in Mystic Falls so much do you?" He said whispered gravely, a knowing look shining against his dark pupils

"What's that supposed to mean!" Caroline snapped, aggressively wiping away her tears. The former sadness turning into a wave of growing anger towards the man stood in front of him

"I think deep down you long to have your perfect feathers ruffled." Klaus's voice was heavy and thick. It made caroline ache with desire as his hand grazed her neck, butterflies exploding in her gut and fluttering aggressively. His hands large hands trailed from her neck up to drawing circles across her jaw and tugging lightly against the skin.

Caroline had to bite her lip to suppress the ever-growing urge to moan, "Of course I don't." She let out in a breathy whisper

"Prove it," Klaus whispered against her cheek, his tongue tracing her jawline. Just as Caroline felt like she was combusting Klaus pulled away. Leaving a burning spot where his lips once sat.

Footsteps rang throughout the forest with their elevated hearing and caroline turned towards Klaus,

"Did you hear that?"