3

3. Arguments, Pliers, Rejection

Klaus screamed as he leaned against the ash-filled fireplace, the heat radiating from it only adding to the painful atmosphere as the ivory-colored stake twisted painfully inside the flesh. His hands twisted in painful ways whilst trying to grasp the wood and dislodge it from his shoulder blades. As Klaus dug his nails into the skin he was overcome with the metallic scent that filled his nostrils. His own blood seeped between the skin and drizzled down against his pale muscles. Crack. His shoulder dislocates and he lets out a shriek of agony.

The door opened with a loud force as a young blonde raced into the room. Her blue eyes filled with concern and worry at the pain-filled man before her, only feet away. Caroline ran towards him and grabbed his arm, pulling Klaus's digging hands away from his wounded back, hearing him let out a grunt in appreciation.

"Stop Hounding me! I'm fine!" Klaus Shouted, whipping around to see her and slapping away her hands. The sudden movement making his groan and squeeze his eyes shut

"I'm hounding you? I'm supposed to be running three different prom committees and you won't let me help you!" Caroline shouted back, her stare matching his fiery one, "Now please, just let me help."

Klaus stared at her with weak eyes. He was exhausted and couldn't keep up the painful argument. Nodding his head weakly Klaus moved his head to droop and hunch over, handing her the set of pliers that seemed covered completely in his blood. Caroline nodded her head, stroking his hand gingerly before placing the pliers slowly into his back.

"Hurry up! I can feel it inching closer to my bloody heart!" Klaus yapped at her, shooting a hard glare as caroline squinted and went closer to the wound, examining the bloody mess.

"You ran Tyler out of town, you killed his mother, why shouldn't I just let you die?" Caroline snapped back, twisting harshly and causing the original to growl in pain.

"If I die, you, Tyler, all of your friends die with me" Klaus retorted, letting out a hollow and pained chuckle at caroline grumble. She looked closer into the gash and dug deeper into the cutout flesh.

"Oh, my god. You do have a heart." caroline said with a gasp, sarcasm dripping at her words, "Oh, my bad. Just a bloody rib."

"Well, I'm glad you're finding my misery so amusing," the hybrid said with a dry laugh

"If you think I'm having fun, you're insane," Caroline said, hating how he winced at every movement she made. Caroline hated how much pain he felt, and she hated that she couldn't help him because as much as they bickered and fought caroline cared for the man. More then she thought appropriate.

Silence covered the air stiffly as caroline dug around, "I swear there is nothing in here."

"I CAN FEEL IT!" He bellowed, practically shaking in anger. Caroline moved her hand slightly as he screamed in pain.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." She whispered, taking out the pliers to face him, the sight breaking her heart. His cheeks where a crimson red and his hands were covered in his own blood. Tears seemed barely visible in his eyes and Klaus's lip sat tightly between his teeth. Hair frazzled and sweat building caroline felt like someone had stabbed her and twisted the knife, "Why did you do that?" She asked weakly, stroking his cheek and leveling with his eyes.

"I couldn't let them hurt you," Klaus grunted in response and turned away. Not expecting to feel a wet kiss be placed at his cheek. It heated up his body and set sparks off inside his groin. A desire overtaking the pain.

"Thank you-" She was cut off by Klaus screaming, his eyes turning a hazardous yellow and his teeth baring.

"I can feel the splinters moving towards my heart. Help me!" His voice yelled, grabbing her hand and pushing her back into the coffee table. Caroline felt a sharp pain as he pushed her aggressively towards the table, the wood break and a piece getting placed into her leg.

"What is wrong with you!" She growled lowly, tears of anger and pain starting to bubble in her dark eyes, "I reached out to you! I tried to help you and all you do is push me away! I'm done, Klaus!" Then an idea bursted into her brain as she continued, "You want my help? You let Tyler come back to town, and give me your word that you will not hurt him,"

Caroline's words cut into Klaus harder then she meant. 'Of course, she just wanted that bloody mutt back.' Klaus thought with disdain. 

"And what makes you think I won't simply break my word?" He asked her, the pain almost leaving his body as rage overtook him.

"Because you want to be my friend. And the first stage of friendship is trust." Caroline moved an inch closer. Klaus was by this point leaning against the mantle but his body wasn't hunched over. Caroline was inches away with her arms crossed and tears gathering softly at her irises.

"I saved your life! Twice!" Klaus said infuriated, inching closer to her

"Because you put it in danger! Twice!" Caroline shouted back, tears now streaming down her face

"I will not have my hand forced by you or anyone else!" Klaus got in her face, his eyes a staggering gold

"What is wrong with you? I'm reaching out to you despite everything that you have done, and you still can't get out of your own way. God! I feel sorry for you!" She turned around to leave, tired of the argument which was leading nowhere. Truthfully caroline wanted to be friends with him. Even more truthfully she wanted to be more. But that would never happen, it couldn't happen.

"Don't turn your back on me!" Klaus shouted, this time his voice laced in fear and sadness. He couldn't handle losing her. He couldn't bear the thought of her leaving him.

"I SHOULD'VE TURNED MY BACK ON YOU AGES AGO!" She screamed in a piercing volume. Tears streamed down her face as she realized this would be the end. Any feeling she felt for him would need to be squashed. Any desire would have to be replaced. Because she couldn't live like this. Not with heated arguments and temper issues.

Klaus was about to yell at Caroline, grab her, and make her stay when suddenly the pain was gone. Vanished as if it was never there. Unless it really was never there. "It's gone." His voice was barely hearable even with the blondes enhanced listening

"What?"

"The pain. The pain is gone. It was... it was never there. He got in my head. Silas... got inside my head. You took my mind off it. You brought me back, Caroline" Klaus said softly, grabbing Caroline's hand gently and pulling her closer to him, resting his head against hers.

"Klaus. How did Silas get in your head?" Caroline said in a breathy voice at the close contact, all former anger being washed away as she smelt his intoxicating scent.

"I was scared. I was weak." He whispered to her, his lips inching closer, "I was worried about losing you."

Caroline wanted desperately to just kiss him, love him. But she couldn't. She wouldn't,

"We can't."

-

I love writing this so I hope you love reading it haha