17

17. Connect, silent, senses

Bonnie Bennett sat chanting quietly inside a small circle, surrounded entirely by small grains of salt. She was positioned right beside the large wood-burning fireplace, the furthest corner from the front door. Damon and Stefan stood at the front door, whilst Elijah and Elena hid in separate corners. Caroline and Klaus stood out of view and in the basement.

"Are you sure this will work?" Caroline quietly asked Klaus, who was currently glaring tensely at the door.

"My plans always work." Klaus's reassurance wasn't the most comforting thing caroline had ever heard but still, she simply nodded,

"Bonnie has the cure in her protective circle, and once she finishes the spell he'll be desiccated." Caroline finished off explaining the plan, though it was mostly to herself.

They stayed silent, the only sounds being grunts from upstairs and quiet chants.

Klaus glanced at caroline and noticed her body practically shaking in fear. He moved over from his position by the door and next to her on the small cot, his hand trailing up her arm comfortingly.

Caroline leaned into the warmth he provided, her head resting gently against Klaus's shoulder. It was so quiet. The only sound was the heavy pants from Caroline, the tingling sensation from where their bodies connected almost too much for her heightened senses.

"Klaus... why is it so quiet?" Caroline finally asked the question that bore in her mind, causing Klaus to finally realize the upstairs was silent

"I'm not sure."

-
I know it's super short and I'm sorry but like I said I'm really stressed right now and have a lot going on in my life and I hope you all understand.