18

18. Cure, Cursed, Comfort

Klaus and caroline walked up the stairs slowly, using their vampire hearing to listen for any noise, but sadly they only heard the buzzing of cicadas from the open front door.

"Something is going on," Caroline whispered lowly to Klaus, her eyes bleeding into his with pure petrified fear.

"Stay here." Klaus looked slightly nervous as he stared down at her, his eyes holding worry and adoration as he rubbed her arms up and down, sending shiver racing through her spine.

"What? No! Klaus if something is happening you can't beat him on your own!" Caroline stomped her foot on the floor and tilted up her chin to look at him.

"I'm the original hybrid love, I think I'm capable of protecting myself." Niklaus brought his lips down to kiss her softly, in a short sweet kiss.

"If that's true you'll be able to beat him even if I'm there," Caroline mumbled against his lips, smiling at the fireworks that seemed to explode in her core after every kiss shared with him.

"Then let's go shall we," Klaus seemed to reluctantly agree as he pulled her hand up the stairwell and into the hall. What caroline saw next made her heart lurch aggressively in her chest, pounding hard against her ribcage.

Bonnie, Stefan, Elena, Elijah, and Damon all seemed to be passed out, their eyelids closed and their breathing heavy. Though another figure was passed out alongside them, another Stefan.

"It's Silas..." Klaus trailed off at the open-eyed man, white glazing then over and his stomach a gaping hole was torn out with a knife.

Though what caught Caroline's attention was the empty vile next to him.

The cure was gone.

"Oh my god," Caroline took a step back with wide eyes, her body instinctively shivering as she was met with Klaus.

"He took the bloody cure." Klaus looked paralyzed, fear covering his entire face as the faces of every man he's ever killed came rushing back like a flood gate snapping.

They're all back.

Every single person.

"Klaus... Oh my god." Caroline looked at him, tears brimming her light blue eyes as she ran over to her friends, checking pulses at lightning speed.

Klaus was silent, stood still as Caroline started to sob.

They would die.

They would all die.