4

4. Hunter, Prey, Blondes

Elijah and Rebekah walked into the Mikaelson manor, finally returning from the silent car ride and into the comfort of their own house, though neither felt comfort as the pressuring issue hadn't been discussed. Rebekah sat down on the couch, grabbing a blood bag front the mini-fridge and having Elijah sit snuggly across, stance rigid.

After a beat, Rebekah finally spoke up, "You and Katherine? And I thought you were the smart brother," her remark was everything the infamous Rebekah Mikaelson's should be. Snarky and sarcastic, with a bit of teasing playful added into the mix.

"You don't have a smart brother. It turns out I'm just as stupid as the rest of you," Elijah placed his head in his hands and groaned, letting out an irritated noise slip past his lips.

"Why don't you just give me the cure so I can judge you silently elsewhere?" Rebekah slipped it in slyly, watching his eyes turn from frustration to surprise. His lips forming into a thoughtful line.

"And what could you possibly want with the cure?" He inquired, placing his forearms atop his knees and leaning towards her.

"I want to be human again," Rebekah has practiced telling him a thousand times, practiced everything around telling him. But right now everything she said seemed to jumble in her mouth

"How do you know that being human is the answer you're looking for? I mean, it's nothing but a romantic notion. The grass won't necessarily be greener, Rebekah," Elijah spoke quietly, not wanting his siblings to overhear as he talked to his you younger. Even if the room had been spelled.

"You're probably right. But I don't care. I want to live a simple life as a normal person. And when it ends, it ends. We've had 20 lifetimes together, Elijah. Isn't that enough?" She said back passionately

"I just don't understand. I mean, why must you always consider our family a burden? Always and forever. I mean, those words are as important to me today as they ever were," Elijah's voice seemed almost strained as he spoke, though he covered his worry with a facade of coldness, much akin to his brother Klaus.

"You will always be my brother. And I will never stop loving you. But now it's time for me to live and die the way that I choose, not the way you and Nik want me to. Please. Please just give me the cure" Rebekah started, only to get interrupted by a shouting fit. "I thought the walls where spelled?"

"I was under that impression as well." Elijah started to get up, Rebekah following swiftly suits as they walked over to the overstudy. The sight they came to behold was one neither thought possible. Klaus was placed right in front of Caroline, his latest blonde infatuation, with his hands, gently caressing her cheeks and their lips separated by the shallow air

"Well well, I didn't expect you to capture your latest conquest so soon." Rebekah starkly commented, watching as Caroline's cheeks heated up and she flung herself away from the original hybrid

"Rebekah please have some respect for our guest." Elijah shot his sister a warning glance as he approached caroline, Bowing slightly as he said, "A pleasure to see you, Miss Forbes"

Caroline smiled warmly at the polite brother and grabbed his hand, shaking it, "Caroline, Miss Forbes is way too formal."

Elijah nodded and smiled, "Of course, Caroline."

Klaus walked over to caroline with angry eyes and I'm a second he hands Elijah pinned against the fireplace, "Tatia wasn't enough dear brother? You have to try and steal another one."

Rebekah stifled a laugh and moved to caroline, "Honestly Care-Bear I think you should leave while Klaus gives you the choice, dearest brother's never in all thousand years of my life chased a girl as long as you. I'd take a gander he's not going to wait much longer"

Caroline watched the boys talk and turned to Rebekah, "He'll be waiting for ever since I have no intention of a jealous asshole."

"You can't run forever. I'll tell you a secret, The chase is his favorite part of all these conquests." The other blonde whispered

Caroline turned on her heel to look at the blonde original girl, "Why are you telling me this?"

"Because we girls have to stick together." Rebekah smiled, though it wasn't the usual sinister and hate-filled one.

Caroline nodded and turned to leave, "Thank you Bekah, for letting me know what I already suspected. I'm just another conquest." She mumbled the last part and bit away tears. Though she had no idea why she was crying. She didn't even care for the man.

"Care, I didn't mean it like that-" Rebekah quickly tried to save the situation, knowing her brother would dagger her if he found out she may have ruined his chance with the Barbie blonde.

"No Rebekah you're right," caroline sighed before turning, "Maybe you aren't so bad after all."

And with that caroline left, running faster then she thought possible in a ratchet attempt to escape her feelings.

After all, the prey could only run for so long until the hunter caught up.