14

14. Feelings, Confession, Love

Caroline walked up to a large wooden door. It had taken her a good ten minutes to find the massive room but she was now regretting her decision to come at all. Pulling herself together caroline dug up all the courage she had and twisted the gold knob open.

The room was illuminated solely by a candlelit chandelier, the yellow lights bouncing off the wallpaper well in a mixture of diamonds and yellow. Two armchairs sat snug in the corner by a cobwebbed bookcase. In the center of the windowless room was a desk complete with a feather pen and ink. But the thing Caroline's eyes immediately focused on was the man leaning against the desk, gazing up at a portrait.

The painting was sealed in a gold-tinted frame and towered over the room. The canvas was covered in a black and blue combination white spots sporadically placed around the center. In the dead middle, a man was sat. His hands reached out to his sides, both inches from reaching the other silhouettes that seemed to be half merged into the darkness. The painting resonated with the baby vampire, that feeling of loneliness all too familiar.

"Love, I see dearest Rebekah delivered the message." Klaus's deep voice trembled around the room, bouncing off the furniture and hitting caroline in a wave of tremors.

"You better make this speedy, Damon wants to make a plan before Silas appears for the 'kill caroline campaign'" caroline was desperately trying to cover up the trembling in her voice with jokes, willing the fear sat deep in her to go away.

"Caroline," he started, turning to face her fully. Dark shadows hung lowly under azure eyes, tugging his face into one of distress instantly. A pit slithered it's way into caroline, her belly suddenly filling with the thick oil-like texture at the way he said her name. Klaus Mikaelson never said her name. He stuck solely to silly pet names. But the way he did, his accent making the name roll off like honey, had Caroline's heart fluttering. Though the feeling was dismantled by Klaus's deep sea of blue eyes. Eyes that held so much fear and loneliness that the baby vampire wanted to hug him and never let go, "I fancy you."

The words struck caroline with confusion. Niklaus Mikaelson, the most powerful original hybrid alive, fancied her? In all of Caroline Forbes's human and vampire life, she had never been fancied, especially when Elena Gilbert was an option. The blonde couldn't, almost refused to wrap her head around the sudden confession, she had always been second best, a default option In case Elena was unavailable. So why had things suddenly taken a 180?

"W-What?" Caroline managed to stutter out between gasps of air. She couldn't have heard correctly.

Klaus approached her slowly, giving the girl plenty of time to ask him to stay put. But she didn't. Caroline physically could ask him to stop moving to her, not when her head was swamped with millions of thoughts.

"I fancy you. But love, you knew that already. I've made it very apparent since the day I met you." Klaus was now only about a foot away, "Though you have let nothing away."

"There isn't anything to give away." Caroline wouldn't fall into his trap. Not his soft voice and dimples. Nor his tricks and conquests, "You mean nothing to me."

Klaus sighed exasperatedly, "Why must you continue to deny it. All I want is a confession because quite frankly Love I've tried to stop thinking about you. But I can't."

Caroline stood speechless, her lips pulled into a small O shape and her eyes bugging out of her head. The baby vampire couldn't believe what he was saying.

"I've also asked for your presence to give you my sincerest apology for how I've treated you thus far." Klaus's eyes locked with the small necklace strung around her neck, the one he had given her. She hadn't gotten rid of it. Try as she might caroline simply couldn't will herself to part with it, "But I will never stop courting you. Though I want the choice to be yours to make. I want you to want me as much as I want you. And so I've granted Tyler his freedom to come back." Klaus had decided the only way caroline could ever truly love him as much as he loved her was if she could forgive him. And so this was his wya to earn forgiveness

Caroline stood statue-still in shock, the only feeling was the soft lips pressed gently against her pale cheek, the lips whispering a, "He May have been your First love darling, but I intend to be your last." His fingers expertly caressed her hair, "However long that may take."

Then he vanished.

Leaving caroline with a twisted stomach and a head filled with thoughts that she didn't want. Feelings she didn't want.

Feelings, as much as she willed them away, stayed put.

Feelings for Klaus.

-

This is by at my favorite chapter I've EVER written! I wanted to make the confession very Klaus-like and the best way for me to do that was include his quotes. I hope you liked it!

also did anyone else watch Joseph Morgan's live stream? It was so good!