8

8. Kisses, Fear, Pain

"What are you doing here mutt?" Klaus asked, walking towards them with loud and angry strides, causing caroline to tremble in fear.

Caroline Forbes was currently being held upright and hugged by Tyler Lockwood, her now EX-boyfriend, though Klaus was not aware of that fact yet. The blonde immediately separated herself from the young hybrid and walked towards Klaus.

The wind nipped at Caroline's nose and the cold gold necklace around her neck only added to the freezing temperatures. Tyler was already backing away and towards a tree, ready to watch the whole ordeal but being ready to bolt it the minute Klaus chased him. As caroline shivered the original hybrid's glance of anger simmered down, undertones of pain being shown in bright colors instead, but the minute Tyler opened his mouth to say something Klaus looked ready to rip out someone's throat, causing the Lockwood to snap his jaw shut.

"I invited him," Caroline whispered, stepping foreword, leaving only about two feet between the young vampire and the first hybrid.

"And What made you think you had the right to do that? Do you have a death wish?" Klaus growled darkly, moving closer to her, their heavy breathes mingling in the small space left.

"I needed to talk to him, besides you owe me! I helped you!" Caroline shouted, though her voice came out in small pants as his hand stroked her upper arm.

"I owe you nothing." He hissed into her ear, shivers cascading through her back and down into her feet as his lips touched her ear, "And now you will watch as I rip him to shreds."

Caroline shuddered And locked their eyes. Her ultramarine irises held fear. She didn't want her friend to get hurt, especially when it was her own fault he was here. But then she saw Klaus's own azure gaze, which burned with jealousy and pain. Klaus was hurt that after all the effort he put in the try and change for Caroline she would throw it all away for some undeserving dog. And suddenly the blonde understood. Klaus was feeling how she felt whenever he talked to Elena. He was scared to be alone. Scared of not being good enough. Scared of being alone.

But before she could apologize, explain herself he was already grabbing Tyler's neck and placing his hand inside the Lockwood's chest cavity, "I'm going to enjoy this." He sneered

Caroline screamed and ran towards them, fallen red and orange leaves crunching under her boots as the wind caused more to enter her light blonde hair.

Klaus watched her with awe. She was running towards him with such ferocity and determination that it warmed his undead heart. Autumn leaves gracefully entwining themselves into her golden curls made her look like a goddess.

"KLAUS STOP IT! IT WAS MY FAULT! I TOLD HIM HE COULD COME!" Caroline grabbed onto Klaus's free arm, "Please. He'll leave just please don't hurt him."

Klaus was ready to rip out the pumping red heart from Tyler's chest. That was until he made the grave error of looking at her face. Tears gathered in her eyes, a few breaking the barrier and falling down her milky skin. Her soft red lips trembled with a shocking intensity and blue eyes begged him not to harm the man.

"Run. And never come back." Klaus dropped his hand from Tyler's neck and removed the arm from his chest. In a split second Tyler was gone, leaves blowing up into the air from his speed.

Caroline waits a beat before speaking, letting out a breathy shallow, "Thank you."

"Who says I did it for you? I just want him to live eternity in fear." Klaus's facade covered his face, his hands prying off her own clinging hands from his arm.

"Klaus please I-I-" caroline couldn't handle him leaving. She could handle the one person who promised to never walk away leaving her alone. Her hands instinctively gripped her golden necklace harder

"Please what? Please stay? Why don't you just run off with that mutt you call a boyfriend." Klaus turned his back, unable to handle the pained look on her face

"That's just it! We aren't together anymore! H-he cheated on me! We're over! Please Nik just look at me.." she practically begged, touching her hand to his shoulder

"I don't care." He replied simply, and then he walked away.

"STOP! YOU PROMISED YOUD NEVER TURN YOUR BACK ON ME!" Caroline growled darkly, speeding in front of him and pushing against his chest, "you!" Caroline hit him weakly, "promised!" Another hit. "me!" She went into hitting him again when Klaus grabbed her arm with one hand and tilted her head up with his other using his index finger.

The heat between them seemed almost unbearable. The space was so small that caroline couldn't breathe. Her heart thumped loudly in her ears and she instantly reached her free arm to stroke Klaus's stubbled cheeks.

"I'm sorry caroline." Klaus leaned his head against hers softly, pressing lips to Caroline's forehead, causing the blonde to shiver

But then he ran. Klaus ran away in pure fear of what could have happened. Fear of how he could've ruined things. How he could've ruined her.