CHAPTER 7: Coby

CHAPTER 7 (Coby)

The class is about to dismiss yet Chase is not around. I wonder what happened to him. Even how hungry he is, I'm sure eating won't take so much time that he needs to bunk this class. A new drawing plate was tasked to pass by tomorrow. Once he missed this one, I'm sure he'll put himself on a life and death situation.

The class has been dismissed and still, no shadow of Chase shows up.

My phone is ringing. It's my mom.

"Coby nasan ka na?" She asks just after I answer the call.

"Ma, katatapos palang ng klase ko, diba sabi ko susunod agad ako kila Max pagkatapos kong magdrawing?"

"Oh basta bilisan mo ah! Hindi makaalis ang tita mo don" then she hangs up the call just like that.

I already told him that through text message yet she still called me just to question the same thing she asked in text. Yeah, I know! I need to go with Max right now. Tita never let him alone. She's paranoid that Max will burn their house into ashes which I understand because Max almost did when he tried to cook for himself and left the stove open. A mother being over protective to her son is not a whole new thing to me. Mom is exactly like her younger sister.

I receive great gifts from tita every christmas that's why I don't want to fail her with this little favor. She know me for being obedient which I need to uphold.

But on the other hand, my friend also needs me. I promised him that we'll be doing this together. I need to make up with my absence yesterday. I don't want to see him again being roasted by our professor and I'm not happy with that.

I need to go to the library right now since I got friend to help and a cousin to save and wasting a second is not among the choices.

Maybe I should meet him in the library so I can start to draw while waiting for him.

I already texted him, reached the library, set things up on my table and still, no clue of Chase.

But things should keep going. I have to do this.

I just wonder why he suddenly vanished. He never mentioned that he has something important to do today. He also looks in good condition and no sign of illness or anything.

After an hour, I was able to finish my drawing. I take a look on my phone, hoping a reply or call from Chase. But still, nothing.

Tired, I stretch my back. It's time to fix these things up. As I roll the drawing I have done, I stop for a moment and notice these blank templates. They used to be the papers I give to Chase whenever he runs out of extra paper left because all of his are crumpled at the side.

Before I able to secure my things, a text message notifies in my phone. I check it immediately. It maybe Chase, but no, It's not from him.

Kuya, nasan ka na? Nakaready na 'yung PS3 ko. Nakasalang narin yung Resident Evil, hindi ko kayang laruin 'to mag isa

with scared emoji.

Just after reading Max's message, An incoming call from my mom appears.

"Coby, nakaalis na raw ang tita mo sa bahay. Pumunta ka na agad don" the she hangs up that quick without hearing an answer from me or just to let me speak.

Holding these blank templates brings me in a crucial dilemma. rolling up paper has never been this hard.

How about Chase? I don't know where he is right now. What is he up to that is more important than attending the class he's struggling with?

I think, staying here for less than an hour won't make a change, and drawing one more plate for Chase will definitely do. A little more time here will save my friend from chaos. Max can wait further, but I think Chase won't have the time to save himself and that's a regret seeing him despairing.

I get concern cause I know how fragile this situation for him.

He don't deserve to be in that position. I know how determined he is. I believe he's responsible enough and that there's just this emergency came up to him that he needed to do.

I can't wait to see his reaction after knowing that he missed a plate without knowing I have saved him once again. Seeing him in that joy makes me as happy as he is.

Giving someone you easily can is a small thing but hits big to others. So why don't just give it away?

I set things up, again. checked my phone and it's getting late. I need to finish this quick.

I wonder if Chase is here, drawing his plate instead of me, I'm sure he's now in tears, crumpling papers each time he draw by mistake. Never giving up. He will just keep on drawing until I finally help him to finish.

In just less an hour, I managed to finish it since I already did one earlier.

Now, it's time to go. I pack my things up and walk outside the library.

Rushing, I have to take the way going to the lounge where my car was parked.

Beads of sweat were formed after I walk, almost run, through three buildings before getting here at my car. About to enter when I saw Chase sitting on a bench near the statue. It's the light post over him that makes him visible.

He's not alone. He looks well. He got no emergency to do. He looks happy and nothing should worry about. He's all fine with his friend, I think a freshman too wearing the normal college uniform.

He's about to roam his eyes but his friend just put up an Instax. They take a picture together, both smiling to the camera. Seems they are having a good time.

I never thought of Chase having a friend here in university. He never told me about his friend which I never asked anyway.

That's a relief. Knowing that he's in good.

I almost forgot I'm in a hurry. Well, I think everything is settled now and all I need to do is to reach Max before he gets to burn their house.