CHAPTER 9.2: Lance

CHAPTER 9.2 (Lance)

"You're doing it great"

My eyes were locked to Max leaving when a soft voice appears. My whole attention is still with him though he's slowly getting out of my sight. He's... he's special. He's not just like any other ordinary schoolmate I have met.

But then I must come to notice the voice behind me.

It was Sofie, in her victorious smile.

"I never thought you can act that well!" She says. "Ah.. I mean you almost make me believe that you're really in love!" She continues.

"Ahhh.. theater actor? remember?" I just say, suppresing an awkward laugh. Agreeing with everything we talked about.

"Lance? Bakit? Do we have any problem?" She responds after noticing an odd response from me. "Don't worry, I promise I will introduce you to my friend right away. And I'm sure, she will like you too."

"Ahh...Right! Tama! I can't wait to meet your friend narin" I answer.

Sounds good. Things we planned are going well. Objectives are being done. She's winning. I'm winning. But there's this strange feeling like I am not. All this time, I wanted this. I accepted Sofie's plan without any hesitation knowing that this would benefit the both of us. That I will have the chance to hit with her friend. That she could bring back the pain she felt. Sofie's my friend. I was hurt when I heard their story and how this boy, Max fucked it all up. That's not how boys should treat their girlfriends. And it pushed me more to agree with this set up.

And here we are. A click away from winning. Is this is what we want? I can't feel any pleasure at all. I am hoping for more. Or maybe I was hoping that I could feel the relief by hurting someone who I think deserve to be hurt. These feelings that would free me from my certain problems in comparison to this great achievement.

Am I really winning? My interest with her friend, which is the primary reason why I am here in this situation feels unimportant anymore.

With the times I spent with Max, I can't see a single part of him told by Sofie. With his innocence, I can't imagine him doing such things that broke Sofie.

This game we created have chapters and episodes I never expected. I can't even explain myself. It's Max's feeling that's should be manipulated and not mine.

In this situation I went in, I can't help myself from feeling the guilt. I can't stop thinking about what I just entered.

.
.

"Looks like something's bothering you, Lance" Sofie says after noticing how worried I am. "Okay... Fine. It seems like he's into you naman na. So, I think you can stop flirting with him already. Your job is done. You can leave him alone" She emphasizes.

"I'll introduce you to my bessy right away pag nagkita kami." She continues before taking her way out of me.

Fuck her bestfriend. I don't care. Now, all I want is to settle what I've done. This is absolutely wrong.

How ironic that I agreed with this plan because I can't take that my friend, Sofie was hurt and what actually I have done is something that hurt someone's feeling.

And this is all I got. Guilt. Regret. No pleasure at all.

Revenge will never be worthy.

Since I fell down in this deep realization, I just notice the bag I'm wearing is not mine. This belongs to Max. Seeing this bag reminds me of the kind act he did and why this bag ends up with me.

Tomorrow is saturday and that means we are not going to meet each other. This bag probably contains important stuff he needs. What should I do?

I trail back going to our classroom to get my things settled. But on my way, I got into the place where Max unhesistantly gave his hands to help the stumbled kid. In this view, I can see him again and visualize that kind act he did. His reaction the whole time. His genuine smile. His Angelic face. I can literally see eveything including his hoodie he gave to the young boy.

Slowly, the hoodie is getting more real and the next thing I see is the young boy running towards me, with the hoodie on his hands. He's now accompanied with his mother and he's now wearing a clean shirt.

After getting to me, the boy hands me the hoodie. I sit down on his reach and smile back after receiving.

"Mabuti nalang at may mga mababait na estudyante katulad mo" the mother says in gratitude. "Salamat sa pagtulong kanina. Mabuti at nakita ka pa niya para maibalik 'tong ka jacket mo."

Without any certain reason, those words filled my heart. I never did anything and it's actually Max that deserves this recognition.

After hearing those, the boy hugs me and that makes my heart more emotional. I never thought that this would feel this much. I mean, I never felt this recognition before. Though I usually receive recognition, but this one is far different. The hug. The smile. Everything is different. If only I knew that helping in this kind feels like this, I may be doing this for so long.

And this is how I finally understand Max. This proves that I barely know Max and that pushes me to know him more.