28. Wrong Way

[Amethyst talks to Peridot as they all head to where Garnet is.]

Amethyst: Yo, Peridot!

Peridot: What is it, Amethyst?

Amethyst: Are you sure you want to keep wearing those limb enhancers?

Peridot: For the time being I have to. It's not that I want to or like them, it's just that I have no choice. Besides, they're very practical, I can defend myself with them more easily, you know? Of course, if we make it through this, you can be sure I'll take these things off my body once we're safe and sound on Earth.

Amethyst: I feel you, P. Those things don't represent you.

Peridot: They don't represent anyone, our flaws make us who we are, right?

Amethyst: Of course...

【A few moments later.】

Stevonnie: Guys, brace yourselves, we're already very close to our goal.

[Just as they are about to reach their destination, a room door suddenly opens and four Topazes walk out of it.]

Pearl: *frightened* Oh, no! Topaz Gems!

Amethyst: *frightened* We alone won't be able to beat all four of them!

Peridot: *frightened* Quick, we gotta hide from them!

Stevonnie: Eh?

[Amethyst, Pearl and Peridot quickly hide behind some pillars near them.]

Stevonnie: Guys, don't worry!

Amethyst: Huh!?

Peridot: What!?

Pearl: Why not!?

Stevonnie: They're Gems who infiltrated Homeworld at our request.

Pearl: Are you serious?

Stevonnie: Yes, I am.

[Stevonnie walks up to greet the four Topazes.]

Stevonnie: Yo, hello there, guys, how's it going?

The Four Topazes: Hey!

Stevonnie: Any new information you'd like to share with us?

Topaz 1: Nothing new at the moment.

Topaz 2: Mm-hmm.

Stevonnie: Ok, be careful on your way, guys. *waves goodbye* See ya.

The Four Topazes: Bye...

[The Topazes walk off.]

Stevonnie: *turns to Pearl and company* See, there was no need to worry about anything.

[Pearl and company come out of hiding, regroup with Stevonnie, and resume their search for Garnet.]

Pearl: Hey, Stevonnie.

Stevonnie: What's up, Pearl?

Pearl: How... How did you go about recognizing those Gems?

Stevonnie: Well, actually, it wasn't that hard. Not after Connie memorized all the placements of her gems. Steven couldn't, by the way.

Pearl: Oh, I see.

Amethyst: Pfft...! *snickers* Classic Steven.

Peridot: Still, it's amazing how far they've come.

Amethyst: True.

Pearl: Just out of curiosity, how many spies do you have infiltrating Jose's company?

Stevonnie: Just under thirty, vut if we add up the Gems we brought in now; we'd have roughly a little over forty.

Peridot: Wow!

Pearl: You seem to have it all well thought out, don't you?

Stevonnie: Well, it's not a perfect plan by any means, but I think it's worked out pretty well so far.

Amethyst: Let's just hope that everything that's coming up stays this well until the very end.

Peridot: Agreed...

【A few moments later.】

Stevonnie: Okay, guys, Garnet is just around the corner, literally!

[They all make it to hall 2J1, but Garnet is not there.]

Stevonnie: What the...!

Pearl: Garnet's not here!

Stevonnie: I-I don't get it! She should be here!

Pearl: Stevonnie, are you absolutely sure she should be here?

Stevonnie: Of course I am! Don't take me for a fool, Pearl!

Pearl: Hmph.

Peridot: Then that just means we've picked out the wrong place.

Amethyst: So it seems.

Stevonnie: *takes out the map* Yes, the map shows that Garnet also tends to frequent the main hall, as well as the conversion room.

Peridot: The main hall is always crowded with all kinds of Gems, it would be very risky to go looking for her there.

Pearl: That's right, the most sensible thing to do would be to go to the conversion room first. If she's not there, we'll have no choice but to go to the main hall.

Stevonnie: Well, that's settled then. Let's get going!

[Stevonnie puts the map in their backpack, then they all head off to the conversion room.]