44. Stealth

Garnet: Now, to stay one step ahead of them, we first need to gather information.

Steven: How do we do that?

Connie: We don't know if there will be adversity along the way, just as we don't know what and how many Gems guard White Diamond's ship, so one of us must go up there to reconnoiter the area and return unseen.

Steven: Why only one?

Connie: Because stealth is required for this, if a large number of people go, the chances of getting caught are higher.

Steven: I see. In that case, who should go?

Connie: I don't know.

Steven: Any volunteers?

Amethyst: Uh, I could go no problem.

Pearl: What?!

Steven: Are you sure?

Amethyst: Heck yeah!

Pearl: Don't make me laugh, Amethyst. You're the opposite of stealthy, they'll catch you in the blink of an eye.

Amethyst: Oh, come on! As long as Peridot keeps wearing those limbenhancers, I'm the smallest Gem in this group! Sneaking through the rubble unseen would be a piece of cake for me, you know?!

Pearl: I'm not really sure about that.

Steven: I think it would be wrong not to give her the benefit of the doubt. If she says she can do it, let's give her the chance. She's just going to survey the area, not fight, it shouldn't be that complicated.

Pearl: Fine, whatever. Let her go.

Steven: Well then, go, Amethyst, find out how things are up there!

Amethyst: Ok, I'll be right back!

Steven: Good luck, Amethyst!

Everyone: See ya!

Pearl: Take care!

Amethyst: *waves goodbye* Bye-bye!

[Amethyst then rushes away out of the place.]

Steven: I hope she'll be okay.

[Steven said with some concern.]

【Thirty minutes later.】

[Amethyst hasn't returned yet, which dismays Steven and the others.]

Steven: I feel like Amethyst is taking too long, don't you think? I'm starting to get worried.

Connie: Well, keep in mind that it's a long way from here to the palace, it takes a little over half an hour to get to this cavern, so it would be thirty minutes each way.

Steven: So Amethyst will be here in an hour?

Connie: Probably. I personally estimate she'll be back in an hour and thirty minutes at the most, though.

Pearl: There's still plenty of time, Steven, there's no need to be alarmed.

Steven: I hope you guys are right.

【Three hours later.】

[Amethyst is finally back.]

Pearl: One hour, my ass!

Steven: Amethyst, you're back! Oh, thank goodness!

Connie: How did it go out there?

Amethyst: The path to the palace is clear, there's no more danger.

Connie: No more? So there was?

Amethyst: Well, I ran into some strange cone-shaped robots. I destroyed them all without exception, though.

Pearl: So that's why it took you so long to get back. Did you at least make sure you weren't followed?

Ametgyst: Of course I did! I'm not that stupid, you know?! I found it easy to hide in the rubble left over from our previous fight, as I had said earlier.

Connie: I see.

Steven: So, how well guarded is White Diamond's ship? Do you think it will be difficult for us to take it over?

Amethyst: Well, it won't be easy, I can tell you that. As far I could see, the guards form a circle around White Diamond's ship, so there is no blind spot. Even if there were any, it would be impossible to get close, the circle is made up of twenty-five Topazes, twenty Agates, two Lapis Lazulis and about fifteen other Gems.

Steven: Wh-what?!

Pearl: Are you serious?!

Garnet: That means we have to face at least sixty Gems if we want to take over that ship.

Steven: How are we going to take on so many Gems?! There are not even thirty of us!

Connie: Steven, don't tell me you've already forgotten about the girls who stayed on the spaceship we came to Homeworld in, have you? We told them to wait for further orders, meaning we still have a lot of allies out there.

Steven: Yeah, that's right! I had completely forgotten about them!

Connie: We just have to get in touch with them and tell them to come here right away.

Garnet: Good, that's just perfect. They can serve as bait while we sneak onto White Diamond's ship.

Steven: Huh?