2.17

"Lu! You look pale as hell." I exclaimed as she pumped on me. "What happened?" I asked worried grabbing her hands.

"Come with me. Both of you." She dragged Carla and me in a buffet tent, explaining to us how she had recently found out about Cayetana's secret life that she had been lying to us about.

"How could I not have figured this out?" she ranted walking back and forth. "She has thousands of followers on Instagram. How did she..." I looked at her sympathetically, I was actually sad for her, I knew that she had found a friend in the new blonde girl.

"She's a fucking cleaner's daughter." She laughed hysterically.

"What account are the guests' donations being paid into?" Carla asked making me look at her wide-eyed in realization. The party wasn't for charity, it was held so that she could have the money.

"Holy cow. Fuck my life." Lu whispered as she learned the truth.

"We have to do something, we can't let them donate money to a thief." I waved my hands nervously.

"I will. All these people are here because of me. Not because of her. I'll teach her what I'm capable of..." Carla stopped her threatening, by grabbing her by her arms.

"Don't. Don't make a scene. It'd be a scandal and not just for her." She tried to make her reason. "Calm down, wait till the party is over. Tomorrow you can discreetly see how people can get their money back. For now, you need to keep up appearances, okay?"

"I'd almost forgotten what it felt like to have you worry about me." She started at the blonde.

I rubbed my forehead in stress as I exited the tent, knowing everything was solved, or so I thought. My eyes landed on Samuel as he stood at the bar talking with Rebeca, it seemed like they were fighting about something.

I shook my head, walking in the opposite direction, tired and sick of all the problems that were happening that night.

"Guzman." I waved at him as I reached him in the crowd. "I need to talk to you. It's important." I said seriously, I couldn't just keep for myself what I knew, especially when it concerned so closely my friend.

"Go ahead." He motioned for me to talk but when I was about to finally mutter those terrible words I was interrupted: Lu was on stage, the microphone in one hand and a glass in the other, she was obviously drunk.

"Thank you sincerely for being here tonight. Thank you for your kindness, from the bottom of my heart." I was actually ready for a scandal, but maybe she was following Carla's advice. "It's hard to believe that there are still good people in the world who we can trust. And thank you especially to a wonderful woman...a generous and very special friend. Cayetana, please, let's give a round of applause for her." The guests did as she told much to my dismay. "And a fucking liar." And that's the Lu I knew. "Does this NGO even exist? It must be as false as your stories about trips around the world and your house. Your friendship. Your Ralph Lauren dress. I don't know who you stole that from. And your followers on Instagram. Your whole life is a fucking lie. Yes, Cayetana is the daughter of a house cleaner. I really believed her. Well done. Unbelievable. It was all a big lie. Don't worry she'll give you your money back, I'll make sure of that. Great night. I'm sick of it, sick of pretending. Putting on a fake smile all night long, pretending that everything was alright. But nothing is alright. Especially with Guzman and I. We are not together anymore. I'm sorry, Laura, I really tried. It wasn't enough. Because your sweet boy cheated on me with a Bedouin girl. I don't know what I did to deserve it, but I always end up betrayed and disappointed by the very people that I have fully supported. Right, Carla? So now I want to toast" she raised her glass. "to this wonderful night. And, Carla is fucking Samuel." She finished.

I turned around knowing that the boy mentioned was not so far from me. He looked at me as if he had been discovered, an apologetic look on his face, not really sure what he was supposed to do in a moment like this.

I rubbed my forehead not really assimilating what had just happened. I walked down the stairs, wanting nothing less than to leave that place. My eyes fell on the two boys in front of me, Ander and Guzman, whispering to each other. Pained expressions on both their faces, I could tell the reason behind Ander's pain but I wasn't completely sure about my old friend. I saw the boys walking away so I sprinted and approached Guzman as he walked on the sidewalk outside the building, where Carla and her father were getting in their car.

"Everything's okay?" I asked my friend as I saw the pained look in his eyes.

"Yeah..." he had a lost look on his face as he stared down at his phone and then at Samuel, who was a few feet away from us as he got on his bike.

"What did you want to talk about earlier?" he turned to me completely.

"I don't think now is the right moment." I played with the rings on my fingers.

"I need to know, Izzy. Tell me." He looked at me with pleading eyes.

I know it's been a long time since the last time I updated but I just couldn't find inspiration or a purpose to continue writing this book. I'll try my best to regain the inspiration I need.

Xoxo