Chapter 24

"I can't believe you get to live here" Bonnie said as she and Elena came back downstairs. "This place is INSANE" she added.

Elena smiled at her friend's enthusiasm. "You get used to it, trust me" she told her. And although Elena was ecstatic that Bonnie was there with her, the fact that Elena hadn't told her the truth about her arrangement with Stefan was eating away at her. To be honest, she wasn't even sure she would tell Bonnie or Jeremy.

"Yeah I bet" Bonnie said, rolling her eyes. "You do know how ridiculously hot he is, right?" she asked, bumping into Elena as they walked.

Elena blushed at the thought. He really was ridiculously good looking.

But then another nagging feeling took over her. "Bonnie" she said, stopping. "I'm really sorry you weren't invited to the wedding" she said, looking down at her own feet. "It just all happened so fast and ..." she began, but Bonnie cut her off.

"Stop, Elena" she said, grabbing her hands and giving her a reassuring smile. "You're happy. That's all I care about" she said. "I don't blame you for snatching Stefan up as quickly as you could" she winked.

Elena smiled sadly, almost ready to cry all over again. "How did I get so lucky to have a friend like you?" she asked. "After how I treated you when I was with Derrick. Everything I said, I didn't mean it."

Bonnie shook her head. "It doesn't matter. You're not with him anymore" Bonnie reminded. She saw the guilty look on Elena's face and frowned. "You're my best friend, Elena. I could never stay mad at you" she smiled softly.

"I love you so much" Elena said, pulling Bonnie into a hug.

"I love you too" Bonnie said. Both girls pulled away when they head the door open.

Elena smiled when she saw Stefan, and then was surprised when she saw Jeremy walk in behind him. "Look who I found at the grocery store" Stefan grinned.

"Where is the stuff you bought?" Elena asked, placing her hands on her hips. She was very well aware that Stefan did not go to the store, though she was still going to give him a hard time about it.

"Ah, that's for me to know and you to find out" he said, wincing as he realized that was a line he picked up from his niece. "Bonnie, do you want to help me in the kitchen? The turkey should almost be ready" he added.

"Of course" Bonnie said, following him. She smiled at Jeremy as she passed by him.

Jeremy and Elena stood there awkwardly for a few minutes just staring at each other. "Do you want to go for a walk?" Elena asked. Jeremy nodded. "Good. I'll show you the horses."

Jeremy walked silently alongside Elena as she talked about what she had been up to lately. Jeremy wasn't really paying attention though. He was stuck on some other thought. "Stefan told me Derrick knows where you are" he blurted out, interrupting Elena. "Is this true?"

Elena stopped abruptly. "Yes" she answered. "But it's not like I tried very hard to hide. I practically married into the wealthiest family in the state" she added.

"He's dangerous, Elena" Jeremy reminded. "You need to go to the police."

Elena sighed. "I already told you. That won't do any good. I never reported him. And even if I had, he has family working in the police department. Nothing ever would have happened to Derrick" she reminded.

"Okay, so come back with us to California" Jeremy told her, seriousness taking over his face. "Derrick will have a much harder time finding you over there."

Elena took note of the desperate tone he had taken. "Jer, I can't. What about school?" she asked him. She was almost done. She couldn't stop now. But that was not what was on her mind the most. "What about Stefan?" she asked, her voice softening at the mention of his name.