Chapter 43

***4 Years Later***

Nine months. That was how long he had waited. And five days earlier, his wait had come to an end.

Now, sitting in the chair he had bought Elena, in the nursery, he held his beautiful little girl, wrapped in a pink blanket, in his arms, and just stared at her. The sun was coming up outside, lighting the room a little – just enough for him to be able to see her face. Her eyes were blue, though, he was pretty sure they were going to turn green later on. Just like his.

They had named her Brooke. Elena had suggested it and Stefan had loved it. If you just looked at her, you knew her name was perfect. Just like her.

He thought he was ready. After all, he had been around Lily all of her life. But this was so much different, being a father. He could not even describe it, but it was amazing. She was holding on to his finger tightly, staring up at him, trying to figure him out. He was staring down at her, trying to figure her out.

So he continued to smile at her, loving every minute that he spent with her. "I love you" Stefan said quietly, rubbing her small hand with his thumb. She tightened her hand around his finger even more and he knew that this little girl would have him so tightly wrapped around her little finger until the day he died. Just like Lily. And just like Elena.

"Thought I'd find you in here" came Elena's voice, soft and full of sleepiness. But she was smiling as she leaned against the doorframe.

"I can't seem to get enough of her" Stefan said, smiling at Elena before looking down at Brooke.

Elena slowly walked towards them, the two loves of her life. "Look at how she's looking at you" Elena said. It made her heart melt completely. "She adores you" Elena smiled.

Stefan looked up at Elena once again. "Come here" he told her, shifting a bit in the chair. Elena sat down in the chair with him and he placed Brooke in her arms.

"Hi sweetheart" Elena smiled, kissing her head. Brooke reached her tiny hand up and grabbed Elena's chin. Elena kissed her hand and smiled. Elena laughed when she yawned. "I think she's sleepy" Elena told Stefan.

When Brooke closed her eyes, Elena leaned her head against Stefan's and they both watched their little girl sleep. "Thank you Elena" Stefan whispered, kissing her temple.

"For what?" she asked.

Stefan smiled. "For making me the happiest man alive" he whispered. He kissed her head again and closed his own eyes, content with having Elena and Brooke close to him.

Elena reached one hand out and grabbed his hand to hold. She kept her eyes open, listening to both her little girl and Stefan breathe so peacefully. She wondered how they had gotten here after four years. They had spent almost every waking (and sleeping) moment together and if it were possible, loved each other more because of it. Of course she had enjoyed it being just the two of them. They traveled to places all around the world. Places she had never seen, but wanted to. They had acted like love-struck teenagers too, randomly making out whenever they felt like it. It had been an amazing four years. Yet somehow, right now, with the baby, was even more amazing. This moment was what she had expected for herself when she thought about marriage and family. Everything was perfect.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

The next day, as Stefan held Brooke on the couch while Elena took a nap, his front door opened and in walked Lily, now almost twelve, chatting away on the new phone Damon had bought for her. She saw Stefan who smiled and waved to her, but she put her finger up, telling him she would be with him in a minute. Then, she walked into the kitchen in search of something, all the while tell someone named Lindsey that some guy named David was stupid for not returning her text message.