35

Karlie POV

As I sat and waited for any updates, I thought about what Angelina had told us about her and Y/n's argument. Y/n's one stubborn son of a bitch to not give up the surprise. I really don't think it's smart to risk your relationship for a proposal, but Y/n's committed. 

Every few minutes I would hear a muffled scream or a wail of pain coming from down the hall. I really hoped it wasn't Y/n, but something told me it was. It made me want to curl up and be swallowed by the ground. I was just happy Angelina wasn't there to hear it. I could barely handle it.

It stopped after about 20 minutes much to my relief, and I zoned out, my mind blank. I'm not sure how long I sat like that, but in what felt like just a few minutes later, Dr. Stevens was walking over to talk to me. 

"Hey, so I didn't say this in front of the rest of the group because I wasn't sure if it was a surprise or not, but when we got Y/n, she had this in her pocket." He handed me a little black box, and right away I recognized it as the ring Y/n bought for Angie. 

"Thank you so much. Yeah, it's supposed to be a surprise, but I'm not sure if that's still going to happen. At least not the way we planned." He nodded sadly, and I checked to make sure the ring was still there before slipping the box into my pocket. 

"So we managed to get all the alcohol out of her, and the pain meds should be kicking in right now, if you guys want to see her." 

"Okay, yeah. Let me just text the group, they went for some fresh air."

Angelina POV

I was the first to step in after Dr. Stevens, and had it not been for Taylor and Cara, I would have collapsed on the spot. 

She looked so small in that big bed, hooked up to a dozen different machines. Thankfully, she wasn't on a respirator, but her foot was wrapped in a thick cast, and her head was bandaged. Her eye and cheek were swollen and bruised, and she had a dark purple bruise around the ring of her neck. 

I felt the urge to run and hide. I wanted to forget this image forever. It broke my heart to see Y/n looking so fragile. Her skin was pale and from the parts that I could see, she had quite a bit of bruising and cuts along her body.

"Oh Y/n..." I said, my voice breaking. I rushed to her side and crumpled to my knees. I don't think I've ever cried so much in such a short amount of time. I gently held her hand in mine as I wept. Normally I'd feel embarrassed about being so emotional in front of people, but I couldn't care less. 

I heard Dr. Stevens say something to Karlie before leaving the room. The girls came over and comforted me as I held onto Y/n for dear life, afraid that if I let go, I'd lose her. At some point we moved to sit in the plastic chairs by the bed. 

I cried until I physically couldn't cry anymore. Now I was just silently staring at the blank wall of this depressing hospital room. I hadn't even realized how long we had been at the hospital until the sun began to peak over the mountains. I felt so tried. Tired physically, tired emotionally, tired of feeling scared, just tired. 

I must have fallen asleep, because when my eyes opened, the sun had risen pretty high in the sky, and when I checked my phone, it read 9 am. My attention was turned to the door when I heard it open. 

Cara and Karlie walked in, two trays of Starbucks and a bag in hand. "Hey, we got coffee and some breakfast. The food here is horrible so..." I smiled gratefully at the two women and accepted the offered drink and croissant. "Thank you guys." 

They nodded and woke up Kendall and Taylor, who apparently had also fallen asleep. We sat and ate quietly for a few minutes. 

"So, how long have you known...about...you know." Taylor asked, crumpling up her paper bag and throwing it away.