Happy Meals

Chapter 1

I think I died at birth. It would explain the emptiness in my heart, that theory is better than the days I think I am a vampire. I don't know much about anything, I know what is expected of me though. Every morning without fail I wake up, make food for my little brother and I, then make sure he goes to school. That has been routine since I was 15, I became a parent the day my mother was gunned down along with her boyfriend. I never asked why but I know it was his fault, it didn't take a genius to figure that part out. Also my Grandmother without fail reminded us that our mother was an idiot, who left her with us because of a man. She lived her life to please him, my little brother is a result of that toxic love. I always wondered why women let men put them through hell, I have always been curious.
I think if I would visit a women's prison, and ask everyone there; How did you end up here?. 8/10 would be there because of men. They are always the common denominator when it comes to women making the worst mistakes. I sometimes wish my mother never died though, I sometimes wish I was never born and I often wish I never had to take care of myself and my brother.

Maybe because of everything in my life that's why I worked harder than everyone else. When I told my grandmother I can afford to look after my brother, work and still go to varsity there was somewhat of a miscommunication between us. She assumed I was saying; " We will be moving out". I am sometimes grateful for that miscommunication, other days I feel like I am way over my head with everything;

Qhama" I'll fall asleep soon, just don't forget to lock the door"
Me" Okay, I will be back before you know it"
Qhama"Okay"
Me" Okay"

My little brother and I have been renting a backroom, my allowance (a government bursary for underprivileged varsity students) pays for the rent and the money I make from waitressing covers groceries and transport.

Qhama"Promise to wake me up when you come back"
Me" Okay"
Qhama"You are coming back right?"
I nodded, he always asks me that question.
Me" I'll always come back for you. Always"

He was all that I had, I was all he had. I may have been forced to be his parent, but it was my choice to accept that duty.
"Goodnight kid"

*

My transport arrived, I decided to listen to music and let my imagination take me to another world. A world where I have a normal life because when you are raised without love, you look for it and you accept what is given to you. You take it, even if you know deep down inside, it isn't love yet you take it because it's what's on the table. I always imagine what it's like to be loved, truly loved. Like have parents that would do anything for you type of love, I have been always curious about that. I think about this a lot because I wonder if my brother misses them or wonders what it would be like to have parents. I often think he will hate me, that scares me.

"Yaya"
I looked up
Sange" Wake up woman!"
I didn't even notice we arrived, I work at a night club and it's popular amongst young professionals and varsity students. Our personal favorite tourists, the tips were good. I went straight to the bathroom to change my clothes and wore my uniform.
Me" I am so sleepy"
Sange" Preach"
I went to my first table, it seemed like we will have a quiet night. I hope Robert will ask me to go home. A bunch of guys walked in followed by a group of girls, and they were my table. They ordered everything under the sun, I attended to their needs. I knew two of them but I doubt they even know me, Our Campus is really big. Yea, that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

*

At exactly 00:15 I was done working, I walked to McDonald's because I was starving. I ordered food for me and my little brother.
"Your bag is not closed"
I looked at the guy who was speaking to me. I smiled then nodded.
Me"Thanks"
Him" How long have you been waiting?"
Me" Not that long"
He nodded
"Be patient with them, night shift is really hard because your body just wants to be in bed at this moment"
He smiled
Him" I am not in a hurry, I was just asking because you look like you might sleep on this table"
I honestly didn't even realize I was seated on a table with someone. I just grabbed a table and sat.
Me" I might but I need to get home, so I won't"
"Just stop me from passing out"
Him" I'll try"
We both sat in silence, they shouted his order then mine.
"Where can I drop you off?"
Me"I will take uber, but thank you for the offer"
Him"I don't think you should, I honestly don't mind dropping you off"
I thought about it for a minute, the possibility of getting kidnapped. It crossed my mind.
Me"I have a brother, I take care of him and I am the only family he has"
He looked confused at first.
Him" I'm Yanga, wait, advocate Yanga Baliso, you can take a picture of my number plate if that will make you comfortable"
Me" Okay"
Yanga" Siyaphi?"
Me" New Brighton"

In the car we made small talk, he didn't ask me for my name. He was confident, you could tell by the way he was driving. He was in his element and I found that cute.
"Aggrey"
I said my street's name and he smiled at me;
Yanga"Okay baba"

I directed him until we got to my place, he stopped the car and I wondered would it be appropriate if I just got off or am I forced to make small talk.

Me"Thank you"
Yanga"Here"
He gave me nuggets and chocolates.
"For your little brother"
Me"Thank you"
Yanga" Don't mention it"
I got out of the car, he waited for me to get inside and then he left.

The beginning