The inheritance

Chapter 20

"I'm sorry to interrupt but it's time for her bath"
The nurse said, my mother turned around and smiled at her. She has such a beautiful smile, that's the only thing about her that never changed throughout the years.
"Does my friend have to leave?"
She was referring to me, I sometimes think I would be used to her being like this but I can't get myself to get used to this.
Nurse" She will be back later"
She gave me a hug
"Uzobuya?"
Her voice was filled with glee
Me" Yes, I'll bring you some nuggets"
She had a huge grin on her face
"Nugget"
A little part of me wanted to say "Yes that's me" but I knew better by now. I knew better than thinking she knows who I am, those days don't come around anymore.
Me" Yes nuggets"
I said with a lump in my throat
"Will you tell me stories about Yanga and Yazini too?"
I fought the tears. Hating myself for not being used to this. Someone touched my shoulder and I turned around to hide myself because I didn't want her to see me crying.
Qhama" She will tell you after your bath"
I wiped my tears then went to stand next to my uncle.
Me" Should I play you some music while you bath?"
She nodded, I told the nurse to play her Touch by Sleeping at last. She and her friends were obsessed with that song.

*

On my way home I stopped at Woolies for some supper. Connor was already at home.
Me" Hey babe"
I kissed his cheek
Connor" How are you?"
Me" Good, it's just been a long day"
"How was work?"
Connor" Not sure, I wasn't even paying attention"
"How's your mother?"
Me" Same old"
"Tomorrow is my first day at Varsity and both my parents aren't around for this"
I said and he gave me a hug.
Connor" We are here, your uncle is here"
"You are not alone, your mother is still alive"
I scoffed
Me" She doesn't even know me"
"My mother stopped being herself when I turned 14"
We both sat in silence, I love Connor, our parents were friends. So it was easy for us to be friends, our age difference never really mattered because he knew what it's like to lose someone you love.
Connor" Cry"
"Let it all out. Tomorrow you are moving to res and you'll be like every other nineteen year old. Act stupid, enjoy the moment"
Me" Are you kicking me out?"
Connor" Yes, life is too short Hlalumi. You are wasting yours, if we have learned anything from your mother's journals is that she regrets that she wasted so much time being angry at world instead of living her life"
"So cry, and make sure you don't stop until you can't breathe. Cry, you need it"

Connor was right about the crying thing, I know I have been in Varsity for only three months but I was enjoying every minute of it. Like now, my favorite thing is going out for lunch with my friends on a Saturday afternoon because people my age actually do those things. My phone rang and it was my Uncle Qhama calling me. It was brief and straight to the point as always. I paid for my food and ran to my car, and drove to my uncle's house like I was being chased by the police. I ran to her room and they were seated in bed together laughing, he had tears in his eyes but he looked really happy.
"Hlamuli?"
She said and I nodded, she remembers who I am sometimes. Then I hold on to that, then she disappers again and she is no longer my mother but my friend. She goes back to telling me stories, that I have probably heard a thousand times from her. She retells them like she is speaking to one of her best friends, but I don't mind. Or I read her journals to her, she wrote down every minute of her life. I would read her everything and she would laugh, cry like I wasn't retelling her life stories. I realized over the years that the past is her happy place. She holds on to it like her life depends on it, she calms down when I ask her about her past. She held my face and smiled, she looked around and then back at me.
Yazini" Is this a nursing home?"
Me" Nope, It's Uncle Qhama's house"
"He is your brother"
She smiled
Yazini" I know my own brother silly"
She looks to her brother then back to me
"You've grown up"
She walked towards me
Me" Mama, where are you?"
She looked confused
Yazini" You just said this is Qhama's house"
"Happy Birthday Nugget"
She was lucid!. I looked at my uncle and he smiled.
Hlalumi" Mama"
Yazini" You've grown up"
She gave me another hug
"How long has it been?"
She asked my uncle
Qhama" 5 years"
She sat on the edge of the bed then looked at me.
Yazini" I love you"
She said the same thing to my uncle
"Take me to a facility that can look after me then go and live your lives"
She started crying, I knew the pain she felt. Not being in control of your life. That has been everyday, I am so scared of forgetting that I record everything I do. I am so scared of everything, this was my life. The fear of being like her.
Yazini" I'd like to visit Yanga and Qhayiya. Before it happens again. Please let me see them"
"I just want to see them one last time"
My uncle and I took her to the graveyard, she cried and asked to be alone. We didn't go too far.
Qhama" I wonder how long this one will last"
Last time she was just lucid for two hours, this however has been the longest.
Me" You think she is dying?"
Qhama" I don't know, I just hope she won't end up in hospital again. I know I am selfish but I am not ready for her to die"
Me" Me too"
Qhama" She promised me that we will grow up and be smelly together"
"I should probably get her to call Sange and Khanya"
Me" That's a great idea, think she would like that"
Qhama" I am not sending her to some home, I'll take care of her but she is right. You need to start living your life"
"I will read her journals to her. You focus on Varsity"
We heard her scream and we both ran to her.
"Where am I?! Ningo bani nina?"
She was scared, she looked around then back at us.
"Ndiphi?"
"Yanga? Qhama?"
She always calls out for them. Never me.
Me" Bayeza. Let's go look for them"
She started being calm again. We walked to the car, she held my face then smiled.
Me" Lala bayeza, I'll wake you up when they get here"
She nodded, I caressed her and then started singing. Turns out, the song she used to sing to me, is the same song her father used to sing to her. She fell asleep and I closed my eyes and murmured.
"Happy Birthday Nugget"

End of Part 1