The rewrite

Chapter 18

There must be more in life, I need to believe that is more to life than the pain. I need to believe in the higher power, I need to go back to believing everything happens for a reason. People die everyday, bad things keep on happening and I want to believe that there is a bigger picture. That God has a reason, that all these tears and all the pain we feel is for a reason. I need to believe this.
"I have to ask you one more time, are you sure about this?"
Pain changes us, something switches and you see the world differently. Khanya and Sange, their pain changed me, her unborn baby changed me, the guilt changed me. The changes are never loud. They are subtle, you can't even see it happening. Until you don't recognize the things that made you who you are. Until the moments that were supposed to take your breath away turn into a nightmare.
Me" Yes"
I closed my eyes and relived everything. Sange lost her baby, she has been dealing the trauma the only way she knows how, she works and pretends it never happened. Khanya moved, he got discharged and he moved. He hasn't spoken to any of since then. And I fainted in hospital and they told me I am six weeks pregnant. I am getting an abortion today. Pain changes a person. You can try to find your way back but it's not easy. I don't know how to find my way out of the pain, I don't know how to get my friends back to where we once were, I can't take away their pain but what I can do, is not bring another baby to this world. That I can control, that is within my power.

*

Yanga" Are you okay?"
Me" No"
He pulled me closer and I just couldn't stop crying.
Yanga" This is not your fault"
I really wanted to believe him but I didn't, so much has changed and I don't know where to start picking up the pieces. I just want to stop feeling like this, I want to stop feeling.

5 MONTHS LATER

Me" You are turning 40!"
Yanga" I know and were are not going to make a fuss about it"
Me" Oh, yes we are"
Yanga" You are planning a party?"
Me" You only turn 40 once, so yes and we need to have some positive energy"
Yanga" Izapha"
I went to seat on his lap.
"We can just do something together"
Me" No, you have been taking care of me. Let me do this for you"
He kissed my cheek
Yanga" You've already sent out the invitations?"
We both giggled
Me" Yes"
"We are doing this!"
His phone vibrated and it was worked.
Yanga" Give me a minute"
Me" It's fine, I need to call Khanya"
Yanga" Uyathetha nani?"
Me" He replied to the party invite and so did Sange. I'm pushing this but I think he might answer"
Yanga" Babe, let me call Carl back"
I grabbed my phone then went to kitchen, it rang and no answered the first time, I tried him again and that's when he actually answered.
Me" Hey, are you busy?"
Khanya" Sort of, just preparing for court"
" Is everything okay?"
Me" Yes, I just wanted to checkup on you"
Khanya" I'm okay, Jabu and I will be there next Saturday"
Me" So you are in Durban full time?"
Khanya" I am not sure, but right now it's what I need"
Me" I get it..... Khanya"
Khanya" Yazini, what happened to Sange and I could have happened to anyone. PE is dangerous and Central is worse, you need to stop apologizing for things you can't control"
Me" I had an abortion"
Khanya" When?"
Me" A month after what happened"
Khanya" Does Yanga know?"
Me" Yep, we went together"
Khanya" Sange would have still been happy for you"
"You know that right?"
Me" We don't know that. The timing was off for everyone, Yanga and I are busy. He made partner"
Khanya" So he doesn't regret anything?"
Me" Nope. How's Sange? Like really?"
Khanya" She is going to therapy, she is okay. She is happy, you know Sange will never dwell on the bad things"
Me" That's what worries me"
Khanya" Stop worrying about us, we are okay. We are alive"
"That's what matters"
Me" And wine matters"
Khanya" More than anything in this world"
"Babe I have to run, but I am grateful for the call. I'll try and call you tomorrow"
Me" Okay, I love you"
Khanya" I love you too"
I went outside to check on Hlalumi and Lunje, she had a play date.
Me" Aren't they hungry?"
Lunje" Tuu Sisi, lomntana womlungu ufuna uhlale manzi qha and Hlahla ufana nje naye"
"But ndiba jongile"
Me" Lulu, it's Yanga's birthday party next week. Uzoba khona mos?"
Lunje" Akho ngxaki, are we going to Bhuti's parents house?"
I smiled at her
Me" Qhama and Hlahla, yes but wena I am inviting you to the party. Bring a friend, in case you get bored"
"But that's if awuna plans"
She gave me a hug
Lunje" Ndiyeza! Plans zam kuzijabulisa"
I shook my head then went back inside. Yanga was making food.
Me" For the kids?"
He nodded
Yanga" They've been in that water for too long"
Me" Lunje says your daughter doesn't want to get out and Krystal is just as bad"
"I'm sure ufuze wena because I don't swim"
He rolled his eyes
Yanga" Can't"
"You can't swim"
I laughed
Me" una 40 eyona nto"
"Hahahah sex will be filled with complaints about your back pains"
Yanga" Wow, hahahahaa just wow"
"We will see"
Me" I guess we will have to wait and see"

The logistics for Yanga's party seemed easy at first, his Cape Town friends said they would take care of their traveling and accommodation. Which shocked me because who did they think would, they have more money than Yanga and I combined. Friday was simple, it was his actual birthday. We went out for an early supper with his family since his parents were not going to be at the party. We went to Ginger, I invited his biological father which I thought was non issue, since he gets along with his son. I was wrong. Seating arrangements had to change, the conversation was forced but we all enjoyed our meal. I apologized to his mother and I told her it was an honest mistake but she was cool. They took Qhama and Hlalumi with them. Yanga went to drop off his father, I settled the bill. My phone ranga and I answered thinking it was work.
"Yaya, ithini into?"
It was Sive, Yanga's friend.
Me" The party is tomorrow"
Sive" No, I mean with the braai"
Me" A braai?"
Sive" You are not having a braai?"
Me" Am I supposed to have a braai?"
He laughed and I was confused because it was a genuine question.
Sive" Sofika ngo 8 p.m. , I bought a few bottles to add to what you've bought"
He hung up! My phone went rang again as I was walking to my car.
"How's the new house? Is the braai going to remain outside or we will chill indoors?"
It was Solly
Me" What braai?"
Solly" Tonight"
Me" The party is tomorrow"
Solly" I know, but Yanga always has a braai before his parties"
Me" Wait, does everyone think there is a braai tonight?"
Solly" Yes, why do you think we are all here so early?"
Me" I don't know"
"I have to go. What time did you think the braai will start?"
Solly" At 8 p.m. as always"
Me" This is becoming a nightmare"
"I'll see you later"
I drove straight to Millpark because Khanya was there at his parents house, I called him.
Me" I need your help"
I explained the misunderstanding and he was laughing at me.
Khanya" Let me pack something for later, give me 5"
Me" I'll quickly call Sange"
Khanya" She is here, you're on speaker"
"Siyeza"
Me" Thanks"
I hung up and waited for them. We went straight to Spar for the meat and snacks.
Sange" Let's go to Tops too"
Me" I can't, I've reached my limit in this card"
Sange" We can handle it"
They really did, we went to my place and cooked. Yanga finally arrived.
Yanga" What time does the braai start?"
Me" You didn't tell me about any braai!"
Yanga" I thought you knew"
Me" How?"
"They are getting here at 8"
Sange" Start the fire outside before she kills you, we are all fine here"
Yanga" I'm sorry for whatever it's worth"

*

The party was in full swing, my friends and I were proud of our work.
Me" Let's go outside"
We took our drinks and food, then went to sit by the pool. Sange played music on her phone.
Khanya" Please play Parson James_ Waiting Game"
She played and we all kept quiet, we really loved this song. For different reasons but we all related. Sange took off her shoes and then got in the water.
Khanya" When you got hijacked, how did you come back from that?"
Me" I didn't, it took me so long to get comfortable with driving. Some days I have the nightmares and wake up screaming, and sometimes I freeze while driving because I see a pedestrian"
"The pain never goes away, you just learn to live with it"
Khanya" I wet the bed for the first weeks, Jabu would clean after me. I was a basket case, I kept reliving the moment. I kept on thinking death would have been better. I remember crying because the pain was too much, then I thought I was okay. Until I started hearing Sange scream in my dreams, that's when I knew I wasn't okay. Therapy helped me, Jabu helped. And when you sent me that invitations, I wasn't going to come. I wasn't ready to come back. But I was also tired of running"
"I am glad you never stopped trying to get hold of me and messaging me"
Touch by Sleeping at last was playing, Sange got out of the water.
Sange" I was angry, not because I was raped but all I could think was 'i am not even attractive now, my stomach is big' yet that didn't stop them. I laughed because I got raped just when I started wearing panties, yet when I didn't, nothing ever happened. So then I started trying to figure out why do rapists do it, I went to therapy too but it didn't work for me, Andrew and I just locked ourselves in the house, we watched Law and Order SVU. I wondered why my rapists wasn't caught yet they had the rape kit, I wondered why rape doesn't matter in South Africe. This never mattered to me before, until it actually happened to me. They raped me and my baby died, you had an abortion and Khanya almost died"
"I don't know why us, I don't mind the pain. I am however thankful to have friends like you guys. Thank you for being my friends, I know I am not the easiest person to get along with but I am thankful for you two"
Me" I love you guys"
Sange" I'm going back inside the water. Don't let me drown, I don't want to feel like this. So don't let me drown because that's all I want to do right now"
Me" They didn't catch your rapist because I took care of it"
"I took care of it"