Almost

Chapter 26

"You're not at work"
I was surprised to see Yanga watching ESPN. He is usually at work at this time.
Yanga" Working from home"
Me" Again?"
Yanga" You sound disappointed"
Me" I am, I don't need you to stop working because of me"
Yanga" I didn't but I just wanted to spend some time with you"
"Plus, Qhama is coming back later today, I need the rest before it gets loud apha"
Me" Uyeza?"
Yanga" Babe, Qhama is in Stellenbosch, he is doing his 3rd year and he is coming home for because your grandmother passed away"
I stared at him then nodded
" Izapha"
I walked to him then sat next to him
Me" You stopped working"
It wasn't a question, he is always home.
Yanga" I am just consulting"
Me" Why?"
"I am fine"
Yanga" You are not Yazini, izolo you took the kids to our old house because you forgot that we moved. Last month you burnt your hand, you threw Lunje out the month before that because you didn't know her. And Lunje has been working for us since Hlalumi was born, that's 11 years. You forgot who she was"
"I love you, so I am here because I want to be with you. Let me take care of you"
Me" I am scared"
Yanga" Me too"
"We can do this, you just have to let me take care of you"
Me" I don't want you to remember this way"
"It feels like this is our story now and I don't want it to be like that"
Yanga" This? Nah, babe this is just one of those things we have to get through together"
Me" Or you take me to a nursing home"
He laughed then pulled me closer
Yanga" Do you know how much I love you? I'd never take you to a nursing home, you are stuck here with me"
Me"And what happens when I forget you?"
Yanga" Then I'll have the pleasure of making you fall in love with me"
"I think I'd love the chase"
We both laughed, I moved to look at his face. He had a huge grin on his face.
"What if you're not my type? I mean maybe my Alzheimer's will give me a new personality"
I said and he roared with laughter
Yanga" Baby, you have 3 children. There is no way you can be picky"
"That aside, I am handsome, yandibona? Ndiyi catch, you'd he lucky to be with me"
Me" Hahaha! I've seen better"
Yanga" True, but they have nothing on me"
We kissed.
Me" Here?"
Yanga" Why not?"
Me" Sibadala"
Yanga" Hahaha khakhulule uyeke uthetha into engekhoyo"

*

" What are you doing?"
He stood on the door frame with a huge smile on his face. I love this man, he is right, I would fall in love with him a thousand times over if I could.
"Reading, what are you doing?"
He shrugged and then walked over to me.
Yanga" I'm about to take my wife on a date"
I smiled
Me" Yadyola?"
"Awuna ntloni"
We both laughed, he threw himself to the bed.
Yanga" Masambe, we haven't done anything together for a while"
Me" We went out with the kids last week"
Yanga" Yea, I mean mna nawe"
"Just the two of us"
Me" Siyaphi?"
Yanga" Just get dressed wethu"
"I'll quickly take a shower"
Me" Should I join?"
Yanga" Iza baby wam"
It's these little moments that make me fall in love with this man even more. How he dries me after taking a shower, or how he loves to watch me while I put lotion on.
Yanga" Can we have another baby?"
"We get a surrogate"
I laughed
Me" You are trying to kill Hlalumi, edikwe ngu Qhayiya. I don't think she can handle another baby"
Yanga" Hahaha she said earlier 'Daddy I need my own place' and I laughed, wakhala"
Me" I wonder uzothini when she sees Qhama"
Yanga" Qhama arrives on Saturday, he wants to visit his cousins before he comes here"
" Get dressed, kunini ufaki make up"
I laughed
Me" Awudikwa kudika?"
Yanga" Nope"
Me" What should I wear?"
Yanga" Hay, andikwazi"
"You don't have to wear heels"
Me" Okay"
I wore a long black skirt, with a white t-shirt tucked in and white Air force 1 low.
Yanga" Hahaha Hay hay!!!"
Me" Nto?"
Yanga" You only wore those sneakers because of me"
Me" Hahaha yes, we are matching"
Yanga" That's tacky"
"Hahaha sudika"
I know he hates it when we I copy his style.
Me" Change your sneakers, but I like the way I'm dressed"
Yanga" Fine"
He didn't change his sneakers, I took my bag and we went downstairs together.
"Mommy without me?"
Qhayiya said and Hlalumi rolled her eyes.
Me" It's just Daddy and I tonight"
Qhayiya" Mna?"
Me" Ngomso"
"I love you my baby"
Qhayiya" I love you too Mommy"

Yanga and I went to the movies, after the movie he took me out for supper and then we went to the ice rink. It was such a lovely evening, it was just us. Felt like old times really and I missed that.
Me" I love you so much"
Yanga" I know, and I love you too"
We were seated in the car.
Me" So, I have all these journals, I wrote everything I have ever experienced down. I want you to read it to me. I never want to forget about your love Yanga. You are the best part of my story and I don't want to forget you. So read to me. Everyday. Even when I am so far gone, I want you to read to me because I wanna want to forget what we have"
"I don't know what I did right to get you but I am thankful, Yanga you are my favorite part of this lifetime"
He was crying and so was I.
Yanga" I am not ready to let go"
I wiped my tears and looked at him.
Me" I am not ready for you to let me go"
"However you should put me in a nursing home, that's what I want. I don't want my children to see me at my worst. And get Hlalumi and Qhayiya tested when they turn 18"
He leaned in and kissed me.
Yanga" We not doing this right now"
"Masambe, they probably waiting for you to sing for them"

I started in Hlalumi's room, sang for her then kissed her goodnight. Went to Qhayiya.
Me" Should Mommy sing for you?"
Qhayiya" Mommy"
"Uzolala nam?"
Me" Should I take you to my room?"
Qhayiya" No, I want you here"
Me" And Daddy?"
Qhayiya" Just you"
He giggled, I took off my shoes and he opened the blanket for me.
Qhayiya" Iza, I'll sing for you"
I laughed at him. I have been singing this song to both him and Hlalumi for years, no wonder he knows it word for word.
Me" I love you boy"
Qhayiya" To the moon and back"
I laughed because that's what Yanga says to them.
Qhayiya" Mama?"
Me" Mmh?"
Qhayiya" Theni khala kakhulu?"
"Uyagula wena?"
Me" I was but not anymore"
"Ndiright ngoku"
Qhayiya" Okay ke"
Me" You don't have to worry about me, uyeva? I am fine"
He eventually fell asleep after I promised he will wake up with me next to him. I quickly went to change into my pyjamas and Yanga was still up.
"I made a promise to Qhayiya"
I said to him, then kissed him.
Yanga" I understand, goodnight baby"
I kissed him again.
"Yazini"
He said as I was about to get out of the room, I turned around to look at him. It looked like he wanted to tell me something but he wasn't sure if he should;
"I just wanted to remind you that I love you"