Declaration

Chapter 8

Imagination. Mind over matter. Paranoia.
Those 3 things were keeping me up, I couldn't sleep. I wondered why someone was knocking so hard at our place, the knocks were followed by seven gun shots. I ran to the bathroom and stopped Giant from barking. The police arrived, I could hear the whole thing but Yanga said I shouldn't come out. So I didn't answer even when the police knocked. Then the house phone rang, I still kept quiet. I started drifting off on the cold tile on our bathroom floor.
"Yazini"
I opened my eyes and looked at him, he looked like he wanted to cry. I decided to close my eyes again.
Yanga" Baby"
Me" I need to sleep"
Yanga" Get up from the floor"
"I need to take Giant outside, ndiyeza"
The dog followed after him, I just went straight to bed. I waited for my tears to come but nothing. Is it possible that I don't know how to cry?. Surely because the last time I cried for was at my father's funeral. I sometimes think I am crying but I'm just pissed off and no actually tears come out.
"Ulele? Or you are just ignoring me?"
Me" Uvelaphi?"
Yanga" I had to sort out something"
Me" Then I'm ignoring you"
Yanga" I need you to trust me"
Me" Yanga, there were gunshots izolo. So trusting you is not enough. I need an explanation"
Yanga" It will never happen again"
Me" Don't lie"
"You once told me that you never lie"
Yanga" I am a criminal lawyer, I piss off a lot of people with my work and I deal with a lo..."
I interrupted him
Me"Uligintsa?"
"Think carefully before you answer"
He looked confused, no, insulted like he couldn't believe I would ask him that.
Yanga" I have a masters degree in Law from Wits, I specialize in Criminal law and I am currently busy with a case that will piss off a lot of people. I just didn't think it might get me killed?"
I laughed
Me" I asked you a question"
Yanga" And I answered your question"
Me" You didn't"
"Actually screw this, I am not about to get into this with you because you will lie to me"
Yanga" Do you honestly think I w..."
Me" I don't know what to think Yanga! You told me to act like I wasn't here, there were gunshots. So if roles were reversed wena ubuzothini?"
Yanga" I would trust my partner!"
Me" So you want blind loyalty?..."
Yanga" I didn't say that but I would never accuse you of being a criminal with no evidence!"
Me" Evidence? I could point out a million things that are shadey and raise red flags"
Yanga" Hahaha wait, so this is your theory this whole time?. You think I am a criminal?"
Me" I don't know what to think anymore"
Yanga" How about you let me speak?"
Me" Yanga"
Yanga" Get dressed, masambe"
Me" No!"
Yanga" Didnt you want evidence, masambe"
Me" No, I'm not going anywhere with you"
"Do whatever works for you"
Yanga" I want to tell you things but I can't because I would be breaking the law. Client and attorney privilege. So I would rather you call me names than me name drop just to ease whatever you think of me"
Me" Okay"
Yanga" Okay"
Me"Can I sleep now?"
Yanga" Yea"
"I am sorry for what happened, it shouldn't have happened. I'm sorry"
I didn't answer him, I just closed my eyes and slept.

My first day back at work and my mind wasn't there, I honestly didn't want to be there. It was packed throughout the day, Sange and I clocked out then went to cash up.
Sange" Khanya is here with friends, I'll join them"
Me" Yea me too, not rushing anywhere"
We both went to the bar, I bought myself gin and a Jane doe.
Sange" Ugrand?"
I nodded
Me" Tired qha"
Sange" Same"
We went to join the others, I wasn't even having fun.
Me" Ndiyahamba"
Sange" Okay you're scaring me, sleep over at my place"
Me" No, I'll be fine"
Khanya" Asoze, hlala apha"
I didn't see Yanga, I noticed his friends first.
Sange" Your man is here"
I turned around and he was with girls, he probably thought I already went home.
Me" Myeke"
Khanya" Masembeni"
Me" Because of them?"
"Ayikho lonto"
I was hyping my friends while they dance, I was on my fourth drink so I was quite loud.
Khanya" Guys we are working tomorrow"
We all laughed
Sange" You mean today"
Me" Hay wethu, masambeni apha"
Khanya" request because I am not driving"
We stood outside waiting for uber.
"Can we talk?"
I think Yanga is the most beautiful man I have ever seen. Like right now, he was just wearing a sweater, slim fit jeans and Timberlands. Kodwa to me he looked like an entire snack.
Me" Not now"
Yanga" Niyaphi?"
Me" Focus on your girls"
Yanga" Utheni wena? I don't know those girls, Ongama paid for them to get in. I am literally here to fetch you, I sent you a million messages but awundihoyi and I asked him to tag along"
Me" Don't shout at me"
Yanga" I didn't even raise my voice at you, I just don't get why you are making a scene right now"
Khanya gave Yanga a hug then whispered something to him.
Yanga" I'll go"
"Have fun"
He left with Ongama, the girls I thought were with them were not in the car.
Khanya" Masambeni"
"Sange khangela iAvanza pha! Songena sonke"
We went to a house party in Westering, it was fun, I switched off my phone. Khanye wanted to smoke, so we went outside.
Khanya" What happened?"
Me" Asked if uligintsa"
"He says akayolilo, he is a criminal lawyer and this means he deals with gangsters sometimes but yena he isn't"
Khanya" Wena besides the jokes we make, and the gun shots, what makes you think ulilo?"
Me" He has money, and a lot of it"
Khanya" He works, he doesn't have a child or a wife. Like I don't think having money is a red flag because it wouldn't be an issue, if he was white and had this money"
Me" Khanya, everyone knows Yanga, in New Brighton he is God, he has Rolex watches. The cars, for a 33 year old, I just question his success"
Khanya" Why? I hear you but why must you question his success. Maybe he has another business, everyone has a side hustle now. Yanga is friends with those elite people, do you think they would risk their reputations for a gangster?. I love you but you self sabotage so much and this time I don't get why you want to ruin a good thing. He is good, and even if he has skeletons in his closet, you wait it out and let him open up to you. Jumping to conclusions is risky, sungxama"
Me" Why are you advocating for him?"
He laughed
Khanya" I don't care for Yanga, but you a deserve a little happiness. I know you, I have baby sat Qhama for you, I know your story and I just think you both deserve a break. Qhama needs to be a child again, stop worrying about you and you need to be free of some burdens. If Yanga can help you with them, then I am going to endorse him"
I gave him a hug.
Me" I love you"
Khanya" I love you too"
I got home at 03:21 a.m. and unlocked the door, I locked then straight to our room. I took off my shoes, then my wig, then went to snuggle up with him.
Me" I'm sorry"
He didn't sag anything, he just pulled me closer.

The days following our fight were the best, we were the best, I finally officially moved in with him. Qhama's room was ready too, I still didn't tell him about my mother.
Me" I am all yours today"
Yanga" What if I told you I have plans for us?"
Me" Naked plans?"
He laughed
Yanga" Khazibambe, we are going on a date"
Me" Can we just chill, just mna nawe. I'll cook for us"
Yanga" Baby, ndizokwenza pregnant and I don't want that"
"I want us to have kids but we not there yet"
He pulled my arm and I looked at him
Me" What?"
He kissed me then pulled away.
Yanga" Baby"
He kissed me again
Me"  Yanga"
He smiled
Yanga" Let's slow dance"
I chuckled
Me" We both know I have to left feet
Yanga" It's just us, entertain me"
Me" We need music"
Yanga" True"
He took his phone, then he played Langa Mavuso's Sunday blues.
"When I first met you, I didn't know what to expect but I knew I wanted to get to know you. Then I saw you again, I remember when we all went to the soccer game. I didn't want that moment to end, I wanted you and Qhama in this house. I knew at that moment thag I wanted to be with you and you were going to be worth every minute. I love you so much, maybe that scares you but it shouldn't. I am yours, you have my heart, you have the ability to break it a thousand times and I think I would still stick around. I love you MaNdlovu, each and everyday I fall deeper into love with you. I hope the feeling is mutual because I don't see myself with anyone. It's you, you have my heart. You have me, I am yours"