The fall

Chapter 11

5 Months Later

PTSD is always subtle, it's there but you never really see it. You experience the nightmares, you swear to God you can hear footsteps when you are alone. Then you want to protect yourself. I have heard about the trauma of having a gun to your head, I've heard about how you don't ever really recover from it. How the nightmares are a constant thing, how you die every time you think about it. How hard it is to go back to your normal because of the paranoia. I relive the same moment everyday.
"Voestek phuma!"
See people would watch, they have absolutely no problem watching someone getting hijacked. People were driving past me, I was dragged out of my car. 7 months pregnant but I don't think that mattered to them. As if it wasn't enough, they took my engagement ring and the necklace I was wearing then drove off. New Brighton, I was only here because I had to fetch Qhama at a friends house, I was only driving the Range because my car went in for repairs, I was only out of bed because Yanga was still in Cape Town. The police arrived after what felt like an hour, one guy got out of his car and actually helped me.
"Is there anyone you want to call?"
I nodded, I was trembling, so I just called out Yanga's number. When he saw I was still trembling, he spoke to Yanga.
"Molo Mfo, andina details kodwa umfazi wakho has been hijacked. Apha ngakwa Spar in New Brighton, natsi ambulance nama polisa kodwa"
This happened two weeks ago, however I was still stuck in the maze. It felt like it was happening at this very moment. I couldn't stop reliving it. So I wanted to control it.
Me" We need another dog"
"For outside, we need another dog since Giant is always inside"
I have been home for a week now, I only stayed in hospital for two days.
Yanga" Okay"
Me" A German shepherd"
I went to the sick to wash my hands
Yanga" Yazini"
Me" I want a dog"
Yanga" I'll get the dog"
"Come, let's go to bed"
Me" Okay"
I went to the door to check if it's locked, I checked if all the windows are closed. I then went to check if there was no one in Qhama's room because he was at Yanga's parents place, checked the bathroom and then backdoor if it was locked.
Yanga" Masiyo lala"
I got into my pyjamas then went to bed, he tried to hold me.
Me" Not tonight"
Yanga" Yazini, I am not trying to have sex. I am holding you qha"
Me" Okay"
I waited for him to fall asleep then I removed his arm, I went to Qhama's room to sleep there. I was losing my mind, I felt trapped constantly reliving the same thing. I woke up screaming every night, and I needed him to have a peaceful night. He hardly sleeps because of me, I just wanted everything to be normal again. I went on my WhatsApp and saw I had a message from Qhama.
"Baby shower mfazi!!!!!!!!"
I giggled then replied
"Organize, we will have it here though. I don't want to go outside"
I heard footsteps, then the door opened and Yanga peeped, I think he wanted to see if I was sleeping. I gave him that, I pretend like I was sleeping.
Yanga" Goodnight"
Something shifted between us, I think it was how he retrieved everything that was taken from me. It bothered me how his car was back, it was like I imagined everything that happened.
"I took care of them"
He said that a lot, I wondered what he meant by it. I wanted to know but I didn't want to hear the answer.
Yanga" I would start a war for you"
"You are my world"
Have you ever heard of Helen of Troy? The face that launched a thousand ships. Well in my case it was bullets.

The following week Yanga had to go to Cape Town something about the Montgomery Group and that he needed to consult for a friend. I know Montgomery-Rhodes is Andrew and Lona's surname, didn't care much about why they needed a criminal lawyer.
Yanga" Come with me, you'll be alone apha"
Me" With two dogs"
We now had Giant and a German shepherd we called him Hulk. Qhama came up with the name.
Yanga" and you are eight months pregnant"
Me" Pregnant doesn't mean incapable"
Yanga" Will you take me to the airport?"
Me" I'll ask Khanya, I don't want to drive"
"I'm not ready"
Yanga always showed emotional, it was never hard to read what he was thinking.
Yanga" Come with me"
"You are not okay and I don't get why you don't want to admit that"
Me" What will I do while you work?"
"It's you they want, not me"
Yanga" It's not safe here, awulali and I don't feel comfortable dragging your friends into this mess"
Me" What mess?"
Yanga" It doesn't matter, I just need to know you're safe"
Me" Okay"
Yanga" Thank you"
Since my hijacking a lot shifted, he made sure he fetched Qhama, we hardly went out. When the holidays came, he made his parents take Qhama with to Pretoria to visit his brother. He was always on the phone, and this one time someone called him and I picked up. He called Yanga by a name I've never heard before and when I asked him, he said it was probably a wrong number. It was like the lies came natural to him. Maybe Cape Town would do us good, who knows maybe we need this break.