Before the worst

Chapter 24

It's been a good few months, we had Qhayiya joining our family 4 months ago and he has been a loud guest. But today wasn't about him, today was about Qhama.
Yanga"Awuzo biwa apha?"
Qhama looked around then shrugged
Viwe" Don't let them scare you, Stellenbosch is the best medical school"
"Look at me, I am a God, I learned everything I know here"
Andrew" He isn't a God and UCT is the best. It's not too late to change your mind, I can make some calls"
Solly" Don't listen to these idiots please"
"We will go, see you at the house"
They hugged Qhama and left, he looked really nervous.
Khanya" You belong here, you worked hard to be here. You'll be amazing at this and even if it doesn't work out. We will be proud of you Qhama"
Sange" And I'm here. You can always call me if you feel alone or just want to get away, Andrew has done this before. He will help but I don't think you'll need help because you are smart"
He was crying, I know Qhama going to University isn't a big deal but I didn't think we would ever get out of that. So this is big to us.
Yanga" I am proud of you"
He gave Qhama a hug.
Qhama" Thank you Bhuti"
They left me with him.
Me" You'll call me right?"
Qhama" Yes, will you be fine?"
Me" I don't know, I might move to Stellenbosch just to be close"
He laughed
Qhama" You have your family, you don't need me, you'll be okay"
Me" You are my family, before everyone else, you matter the most to me"
"I can't believe you're in university"
He laughed
Qhama" Me too, just yesterday I was your annoying little brother who followed you everywhere"
Me" I don't think I know what how to be without you"
"It's been us for so long and now it feels like everything is changing"
Qhama" I know what you mean but also, this is all your hard work, I am here because you never let our situation get to you. I am here to make you proud, I love you"
Me" I love you too Qhama, I am really proud of you"
We hugged
Qhama" Plus your son is way too loud, I can rest, I won't miss that noise"
"Thank you for everything Yaya"
We hugged again, then he finally waved to everyone and went inside his res. We all left for Nathan's house here, they had already started with the braai.

Sange" The fact that I can't drink right now, is exactly what is wrong with the world"
Me" One more month, you can do this"
Khanya" Tshomi I will drink on your behalf"
Me" You are annoying"
Khanya" Supportive"
Sange" Yaz what's the story with Giant? Nithi kutheni?"
"You were in tears that day, I could barely make out a word"
Me" We got home and Hulk was barking so loud, so Yanga rushed inside but there was nothing, so he took Hulk outside. That's when we saw Giant in our pool filled with blood"
"So one stabbed our dog then shot him 27 times"
I started tearing up just saying that, Qhama and Hlalumi couldn't stop crying. Yanga, well Yanga was just in a bubble and I understand because that was his first child.
Khanya" And no one saw anything?"
Me" Nothing"
Khanya" Has Yanga said anything?"
Me" Nope, we just moved into Thabang's house in Summerstrand"
"I don't know what he is working on but all I know is he is paranoid qha ngoku"
Khanya" He won't tell you, even if he wants to"
Me" Do you know?"
Khanya" I suspect"
"Yanga is a known criminal lawyer and most of his clients are gang affiliated"
Me" Yea but that has never been a problem"
"He isn't involved"
Khanya" He isn't but he knows why too much"
"Sometimes they just need to remind him, who is in charge"
Me" You could be wrong"
" We have two children,Yanga would never do anything to put us at risk"
Khanya" Yes he wouldn't, I know he works for the Montgomery group now but there was no way he was just going to quit. He has been helping criminals get away with murder for years, you don't just quit when it benefits you"
Sange" You could be wrong"
Khanya" I could be right"

We went home the following day, we were driving. Hlalumi was on her tablet and I was feeding Qhama while Yanga drove.
Me" When are we going back home?"
"Our home not indlu ka Thabang"
Yanga" The police are still investigating"
Me" The police are investigating a murder of a dog?"
Yanga" Breaking and entering"
" I am sorting this out, just let me d..."
Me" Please don't, don't say I should trust you or the police but uyandixokisela"
Yanga" You don't trust me?"
Me"How will I when you are keeping shit from me?"
"You are doing something and it is affecting your family, but awuthethi and you want some blind trust"
He ignored me
Me" Yanga!"
"I deserve answers"
He hit the steering wheel
"Fuck! Yazini! Stop pushing! Yeses!"
"I am doing my best and I don't need you nagging, I am fucken trying! Just support me! That's all I want"
Me" Support ntoni? When I don't even know what is happening Yanga?. Ndithini? Just sit and wait for the unknown?"
"We could get home and find Hulk gone, I was hijacked because of your job! We keep on going through sh..."
He stopped the car
Yanga" Do you think I planned this? Do you honestly think I wanted any of this?. I didn't plan on having a wife, I didn't plan on children because I know what I have been doing. Then you and Qhama came along then I was stupid enough to believe that I could have a normal life too. I am sorry that you are stuck with me"
Me" I want to be with you but you can't expect me to let you handle everything alone. We are married, we are suppose to do everything together"
He was interrupted by Hlalumi crying, I even forgot they were in the car.
Hlalumi" Why are you shouting Mommy?"
Yanga" She is angry because she wants food"
Hlalumi laughed but I don't think she was buying the story though.
"Can we do this later?"
He said and I just nodded, wiping the tears away from my eyes.
Yanga" I love you Yazini"
Me" It doesn't feel that way"