Pain.

Chapter 17

"Who is picking me up?"
Sange doesn't bother saying 'hello' we always assumed she never has enough airtime. I doubt that's the case now, she is just rude.
Me" I am, what time are you getting here?"
Sange" Well, Andrew has two consultations and then I have to style a photo shoot. But we should be there before five or a little after"
I love their love story, they met that Friday, and Tuesday she moved in with him and the following week they got married. She said they didn't see the point in waiting, they have been inseparable since then and it's beautiful to watch. Yanga and Khanya made a bet that it would be over after a few months, they were both wrong.
Me" I have a meeting at three, should be done by five"
Sange" Should we hire a car?"
Me" Nope, Yanga said you can use his car"
"I have to go but I can't wait to see you"
Sange" Same here, I'll see you later"
Me" Okay, I love you"
Sange" I love you too babe"
We both hang up and Hlalumi was staring at me.
Me" Shouldn't you be at day care?"
Yanga" Babe, do you even read the emails I forwarded you?"
Me" Hahaha all the time"
Yanga" Don't lie"
"Your daughter and her friends have head lice. I washed her hair and changed the bedding"
Me" Where was I?"
Hlalumi" Snoring"
Yanga laughed, I didn't find it funny tuu. I have two new clients, I get home tired lately so I just get home and sleep. Wake Yanga in the a.m. to have sex with me and chat about his day, then we sleep again.
Me" You didn't tell me"
Yanga" I sorted it out"
"I know work has been hectic for you"
Me" Does Lunje know?"
They both laughed
Hlalumi" She is busy washing her own hair"
I giggled too.
Me" I have to go"
I kissed her forehead
"Behave, I'll see you tomorrow"
Yanga" Masambe"
He took his things and we walked out together.
" Do you have time for breakfast?"
I wanted to say no, but him and I hardly did anything together lately. He has a big case load and I am trying to build my portfolio.
Me" Yea, where?"
Yanga" Cobble stone"
Me" Okay babe"
I arrived a little after him, he smiled at me. We ordered coffee and our breakfast.
Yanga" We should go away together"
"We haven't done anything like that since we got married"
Me" I know, babe remember you use to say "never waste a Saturday",  yet all we do is watch movies with those two and then sleep"
Yanga" We are not that old"
I laughed
Me" Well, I am not that old wena, oh well"
We both laughed, he reached for my hand.
Yanga" Let's do something this weekend. Mama did say she misses them anyway"
Me" Lunje uyahamba today, we can have actual sex"
"Loud and sloppy sex babe"
Yanga" Loud? I forgo what that's like"
Me" Tonight!"
"I'll shave yonke"
He raised his eyebrows
Yanga" bald or a fade? Because it's been bushy there"
I roared with laughter then hit his arm.
Me" I'll get a wax"
Yanga" This is love kodwa"
" We are ditching our plans tonight, we are having sex baby. Mna nawe, like the good old days"
We ate our breakfast, then we both went to work. My day was hell as I predicted, I drove to the airport at 17:15 and exchanged pleasantries with Sange and Andrew. Then explain that we are having sex tonight, we will see everyone tomorrow. They laughed at me but they understood, I requested an uber after giving them the car keys. I went to get a wax, afterwards went home to cook for him then ditched up. He texted that he is dropping off Hlalumi and Qhama. I went to wear my good panties. Everything was going to be perfect.

My alarm went off and I jumped up. Yanga was sleeping next to me.
Me" Yanga"
I punched his arm and he groaned at me but actually woke up.
"It's morning"
Yanga" Okay"
Me" We didn't have loud sex"
Yanga" You were sleeping and I didn't want to wake you up"
Me" I wore lace underwear!"
"I waxed! I cooked your favorite things. Why didn't you wake me up?"
Yanga" Because we can have sex any time, you were tired and I wasn't about to wake you up"
" Can I sleep?"
Me" Yes babe"
Yanga" I bought something for you, I keft it down stairs"
I ran out of bed, I heard him laughing but I didn't care. I love gifts. He said "something" kanti he was referring to 3  Louis Vuitton paper bags, two Gucci and one Chanel paper bags. I opened everything, it felt like it was Christmas. I ran back upstairs and he was on the phone. He looked worried, his eyes were glued on mine.
"I'll tell her. We will be right there"
He ended the call.
Yanga" Babe"
Me" What's wrong?"
Yanga" It's Khanya and Sange"
"Andrew didn't say much, he just wants us to meet him at the hospital"
Me" You're lying!"
"What did he say!"
He went to my closet then came back with jeans and a hoddie.
"Iza get dressed"
He said, he helped me wear my clothes. He forced me to wear shoes.
Yanga" Yazini"
Me" What did Andrew say?"
Yanga" Let's go"

The first person I spotted was Khanya's mother and she was tears. They were all crying.
Andrew" Hey"
I didn't answer him, I just went to Khanya's mother. She immediately got up when she saw me and I embraced her.
Me" Mama?"
She couldn't say anything, all she did was cry. Two doctors came out and everyone went to them. I went to Yanga.
Me" What happened to my friends?"
Yanga" They raped Sange, and Khanya got stabbed"
"Sange was pregnant"

Stop.
Listen.
Just stop for a second and listen. Let yourself feel. Let the cold air kiss your skin. Let the sunlight blind you for a second. Just a second.
Stop.
*sigh*

I have been running for so long that it feels like I forgot to stop and enjoy the little moments. The good times that never lasted long, the dancing between friends and the loud laughter.

Stop. Let yourself feel. Breathe in and let it all out again.

"Yazini"
Close your eyes, hit replay and relive the happy times. Think back to the moment you met, the fights, the drunken noise, cheering for each other. Let yourself remember the days when you sat together and planned a future.

Stop. Focus. Let it all out.

Bite your bottom lip and fight the tears as you think of all the times you celebrated your achievements. The day he got admitted as an attorney, the day you passed your RPE exam and the day you stood at an airport saying Goodbye to one of your own as she went to New York to follow her dreams.

Let your heart beat like it might come out of your chest.

"I am not okay"

Close your eyes. Let the pain take over. Close your eyes and pray that tomorrow will be a better day.

Me" Yanga"
He looked at me.
" I want you to kill them"
"Find them and kill them"

I closed my eyes. I waited for the pain to go away. I waited for the guilt of canceling our plans so I can have sex. I waited for the pain to takeover. Because if I am being honest, this is my fault.
Me" I..."
I felt like someone was squeezing my heart.
"I..."
"I.....oh God!"

Then I hit the floor.