Officer Ashley

Hoodie stared at her.

"Who?" He finally asked in a bitter tone.

(Y/N) sighed and bit her lip.

"Ashley," she sighed, "I knew her once"

Hoodie tilted his head to show his confusion. (Y/N) took the hint and led him over to the curb. They both sat down, watching cars roar by in the dark streets.

"Ashley was an officer at Area 51," (Y/N) began after a few moments, "She was like a mother to me."

Hoodie sat silently, intently listening for her to continue.

"After training, she would take me back to my room," she proceeded, "Then, she would dress me in a blanket and wool cap to hide my identity. She would take me out to the employee's cafeteria and get me ice cream."

(Y/N) paused to smile.

"I remember sitting in the little benches with her. My feet never touched the floor, I was so young. I distinctly remember her telling the workers that I was her own daughter so we wouldn't get in trouble. She never really needed to, she treated me like it from the start. She would tell me stories of her son, and how much I reminded her of him. His name was Frank, he would be 23 now that I think of it."

Hoodie shifted his position beside her so that now his body was angled towards her.

"If I was really good, she'd take me outside. I never got to go outside other than to move to another building. But, with her, I got to work in the little flower beds she had outside her office. We always had the best times, pulling weeds and watering the flowers."

(Y/N) chuckled.

"Most of my best memories from there were with Ashley," she smiled.

She sighed, and her smile faded.

"And then... we got caught. The chief found her putting the cap on me, and he was furious. They had a huge fight, yelling and screaming at each other. I just curled up in the corner and cried."

(Y/N) paused.

"I was such a coward. I could've done something. I could've gotten us out of there. I could've prevented what happened."

More silence.

"But I didn't."

Hoodie's hand moved from his leg to her hand, noticing that hot, fat tears were now running down (Y/N)'s cheeks. She sniffled a few times before saying,

"She was exiled. At least, that's what they told me at first. Years later I overheard that she...."

(Y/N) trailed off as she choked up.

"She was killed. They shot her for treason," she sobbed out.

Hoodie quickly pulled (Y/N) into a tight hug as she bawled into his sweatshirt. He stroked her hair, making calming shushing noises and muttering it's okay, I'm here. Eventually, her cries dwindled back into sniffles and gulps.

"She was the only one who loved me like family. She basically raised me as her own, from the moment I was born. I was miserable once she was killed," she muttered, "I can't let that little girl go through what I had to."

Hoodie nodded against her head, still holding her tight.

"I'm sorry," (Y/N) whispered.

Hoodie sighed.

"It's okay, I understand now," he said, "I shouldn't've burst out like that."

(Y/N) sighed as well and relaxed in Hoodie's hold, nuzzling her face into his tear-stained front.