XX

Chapter 20: My personal assassin.

Before you kill the monster, you have to say its name.”
                                  - Terry Pratchett.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Her figure was still on the ground and I was still not understanding anything.

Her eyes were locked on the ground.

“ You can stand up,” I say hesitantly and she stood up in a beat.

Okay.

Like this isn't bizarre or anything.

“ What is your name?” I ask her and then suddenly realize she said her name before.

“ Angelina? Right? Sorry, it slipped my mind.” She just smiles.

“ No need to be sorry, Your Highness.”

I grow uncomfortable.“ No need to call me that. Call me Adrienne.”

She bows her head again.“ I am sorry but I can't call you by your name. You are the future queen of this kingdom. I don't take ranks lightly. Your highness.”

I don't like being called names like that.

“ It's an order.” She again bows deeper.
“ As you wish. Adrienne.”

Oh, Lord. I don't like to use that tone but well it happened.

“ Who are you?” I narrow my eyes.

She looks me in the eyes.
“ Angelina Blair. Daughter of Asher and Zuna Blair. ”

I bring my hand forward. She looks at it for a second before her eyes widen and she immediately grabs it with both of her hands.

I shake her hand.“ Nice to meet you, Angelina. And thank you for saving my life. Now except for names, who are you? Why did you help me? Did Vladimir set you up as my personal bodyguard or something?” 

She laughs.“ No. King Xavier knows nothing about this. I was appointed by your father.” I back away from her in an instant. My face grows hard at the mention of Simon.

“ Simon appointed you? Why? What does he want now?” I ask with malice filled in my bones and venom in my voice.

Her eyes grow larger and alarmed.

“ No. Not Simon. That wanker is not your real father. But you know that right? I am appointed by your real father.”

I felt my heart crack. I was stunned. Mother never told me about father. She only told me that he abandoned us. Abandoned me.

“ What does he want with me now? It's too late for him to act like my father.”

She tilts her head.“ Why do you say that? He was so ecstatic when he found out that you were alive.”

This makes no sense.

“ What do you mean by alive? I have been alive my whole life. Where was he?”

She steps forward and I put my hand forward, motioning her to stop. She halts.

“ After your mother met your real father and got pregnant with you, she fled. Your father tried his hardest to search for you two. But your mother had pretty powerful witch friends, one of them was a fey witch. Do you recall anyone by the name of Sydney?”

Of course. How can I forget the woman who started all this? I still remember her old frail body and her power-hungry eyes.

“ Yes,” I reply.