XXIV

Chapter 24: Possibilities.

“ I'm afraid of you.

In loving me,
You hold a knife at my throat.
In loving you,
I tell you exactly where to cut.

We are two against the world,
Yet I still do not trust your hand in mine.

This is new,
and
I am terrified.”

                       - vulnerability.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is all too much. It's overwhelming. But that hasn't stopped me before, nor will it stop me now.

I can hear his howls and growls. I can hear the commotion outside.

They'll kill him. He is a wild wolf in the territory of the werewolves, the royal werewolves. He won't stand a chance.

I hear multiple growls and sickening cracks of bones as I run barefoot across the hallway.

I jump down the stairs and land rather roughly on the ground. Bad move but I am too distorted to care.

I hear him behind me. He is shouting my name but all I have to do is get to Night.

He can catch me if he wants but he won't. He is not that selfish or controlling.

I push open the main doors and run outside the castle. I see warriors. Some human, some wolves.

They were encircling him. I looked towards Night and saw him standing his ground. His lips pulled back in a sneer and his ears flat against his head. I can hear him emitting low threatening growls.

I push forward to stop them but a warrior wolf jumps on his back and tears a piece of flesh out of his shoulder. He emits a loud and painful howl.

All of my voice dies down. Suddenly it feels like I am back to the start. I am trying to shout with all my might but the only thing that is coming out of my mouth are light and weak whispers. Asking them to stop. It's so light that even I can't hear them.

I feel the sudden pain in my heart and my feet feel heavy. The ground seems to be getting closer. My knees hit the ground with a thud as another wolf pounces on him.

He'll get killed and it's all my fault. I should've sensed him before. I was too lost in my fantasy of a life that now I have to pay the price.

You are a curse to everyone. Whoever wants to stay besides you, dies. You are worthless.”

I hear her right next to my ear.

No.

LET IT GO ALREADY!”

I can't.

Do you honestly think that anybody will love you? After they find out what you are?”

I shakingly place my hands on my head.

She is in my head.

The example is right in front of you. He will die. Due to you. Like I did. You killed me.”

NO!

I fist my hands in my hair.

Like how you are—”

I feel something being placed on my shoulder and suddenly I can hear everything.

Vladimir came. She is gone.