Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Fire

The morning air was cold, and my breath came out in white puffs of air, but there was so much fear and adrenaline running through my body that I felt like I was in the desert.

Twigs and branches crushed underneath my feet as I continued to run. I did not stop running until what seemed like an eternity later when I tripped over a log and landed down on my hands and knees.

" Fucking son of a bitch!!" I cried out as my ankle throbbed painfully. I growled through clenched teeth. The universe just really wanted to make my run for freedom harder didn't it?

I got back into a sitting position, leaning against a tree as I breathed heavily. I had been running so hard for so long that my lungs were burning. I needed a minute to catch my breath.

Every second of sitting still made me more and more nervous. I felt as if I was a good distance from the house now but who knows how far they were behind me.

I rested long enough to let my breathing slow down, but I could not afford to waste any more time. The more I was out here, the more likely I was to be found and caught again.

If Jack found me there was no doubt in my mind that he was going to kill me. He would probably torture me first. Joshua was a bit harder to decide on. He was probably raging pissed that I ran out on him, but who the hell in their right minds could blame me for that!!

With the help of a tree, I was able to get back onto my feet. Holding tightly onto it as I pulled my self up. I still set myself at a fast pace, as fast as I could go with a hurt ankle. I don't think I sprained it, but it needed a little bit to calm down. A little bit that I could not afford to stay in one spot

I continued to keep the road far away as I followed it from a great distance. Whenever I heard a car coming, I would quickly jump behind a large tree or just jump onto the ground belly first. I would wait for a couple of minutes after it had left just to make sure before continuing to move on.

I did not pass by many cars going down the road, but as soon as I heard one coming I took no chances. Maybe it was dumb, maybe it was not, but as I said, no chances.

I was constantly looking over my shoulder. Afraid that every time I looked back that I would see one of the twins coming for me. It had been a couple of minutes since I last looked back. I heard the sound of a breaking stick behind me and did not hesitate to start sprinting again.

My ankle was still hurting but I did not care in the slightest about that at the moment. The trees blurred around me as I ran for what could possibly have been my life.

I chanced a glance back and saw that there was no one behind me. I slowed to a stop and leaned against a tree to catch my breath. Maybe it was an animal, or maybe it was me and I thought it came from behind me. I clenched my hand into a fist and grit my teeth together as tears started to well up in my eyes.

I wanted nothing more than to just scream my heart out right then and there until I had no more air left to give. I knew I could not do that though. If I did that I risked giving my position away if someone unwanted was close by. Instead, I took a minute to cry out some of my frustration.

I set my glare forward after a minute and continued to walk as I wiped my face with my sleeve. I was still wearing the old lady's clothes. Once more I sent a silent apology to her.

It was only noon, and there was still no sign of a town or a road diner. Wherever they had taken me it was far from the nearest town. I had to keep going though, even if it turned to night I could not even think of stopping for more than a few minutes at a time.