Chapter 12: "It's a date"

(edited)

The next few weeks flew by. Amelia tried to keep her distance from Harry. She failed quite a bit, he would always catch her in between classes or in the library and she always mentally scolded herself for indulging in conversation. She even switched seats with Neville in Charms, just to show Harry that she really didn't want to be close to him but he couldn't take the hint. 

After that afternoon in the Shrieking Shack, Amelia grew scared of the thoughts and feelings she felt. She was getting too close, too fast and she decided it would be best to work on her mental strength more before she further pursued the boy. Of course, that wasn't entirely the case, she still couldn't escape the kind by.

Harry, on the other hand, was quite alright with what he began to feel towards Amelia and the distance that the girl had put between them did hurt him a little. He figured if his end goal was to somehow get really close to her, then what would the harm be in having some true emotion behind it. It even made him feel better to know that not everything about the situation was a lie. But that was something he could never tell his friends. 

~

Draco and Amelia kept working on the cabinet throughout those weeks, and despite both of their repeated attempts, they still couldn't get it right just yet. Draco was growing frustrated and Amelia was becoming irritated with his erratic behavior, but those frustrations were tosses aside whenever the two would step foot outside of that room. They were quite the actors. 

While all the students filed into the Great Hall, the conversations came to a halt as they saw Dumbledore standing in the front of the room. Amelia noticed how the students immediately quieted down, she scoffed at how they seemed so scared of him. "Pathetic," she thought. 

Once everyone was seated and had their eyes glued to their Headmaster, Dumbledore spoke out, "As you all know, our winter holiday is approaching." Light cheers erupted from around the room. "I would like to inform you all that we will also be having a winter ball on the last Friday before our break." Instant hollers and claps came from students all around the room. 

The girls were rapidly turning to their friends, exchanging giggles, talking about the dresses they would wear and their ideal dates. The boys were turning to their friends talking about who they would be asking and who they would want to bone the night after. 

Amelia wasn't mad about the ball, the thought of wearing an extravagant dress and dancing elegantly with a boy was interesting. She then turned to see her friends' reactions, Draco had the smallest smile on his face, Pansy was giggling and giving the blonde boy googly eyes while Blaise was starring straight at Amelia with a devilish smirk spread across his face. 

Amelia laughed and rolled her eyes, slapping his chest once she noticed. Then, involuntarily, her attention turned to the green-eyed Gryffindor boy she had tried to separate herself from recently, and sure enough, he was looking directly at her with a caring smile. Amelia quickly looked away as the memories of the shack's events came rushing back to her mind, she immediately felt her face burn up. Much to her dismay, her mind also began to recall all the laughs and moments they've recently shared in the library and courtyards. 

~

The ball was Friday, exactly two weeks from now, which gave all the ladies this weekend and next to find the perfect dress at Hogsmeade.

Amelia was packing up her notes in the common room just as Draco plopped on the couch next to her, "So Lia, who are you going to threaten into taking you?" He laughed.

Amelia rolled her eyes and continued to pack her small school bag, "Ha. Ha. Very funny Draco."  Despite her sarcasm, she did find his remark entertaining.