Chapter 17: Priorities

(edited)

While the Slytherins were spending their time dancing and drinking the night away, the Golden Trio were huddled around the couch in their common room. Mostly every Gryffindor who wasn't attending the party had gone to bed and the trio finally had time to discuss everything that happened in the past week. Given the lack of safe and quiet space, the gang hadn't been able to talk about anything since Harry's encounter with Amelia and at Hogsmeade. 

Hermione nudged Harry, "Well have you spoken to her since then?" Harry's head shot up from the fireplace and over to his best friend's worrisome expression. 

Harry looked back down, instantly feeling the guilt for hiding his true feelings from his friends. "Yea... we talked a bit..." The boy was unsure how to tell his best mates that he had invited the Lestrange girl to the Burrow for winter break.

Ron chirped in, "Anddd?" 

Harry bit his lip before he responded but in one fast blurt, he stated, "and I invited her to spend part of the break at the Burrow with us."

Hermione was thrown into a rage at Harry's comment and immediately stood up yelling, "YOU DID WHAT?"

Harry didn't expect anything less than that from her, "Mione shhh, you're going to wake someone up!" He yanked her back down to her seat and tried to explain himself. 

Ron pulled Harry's arm away from Hermione's in defense, and spoke up, "No hold on mate, Hermione's right! You can't just invite a MALFOY into MY house!"

The green-eyed boy sighed and looked back at the fireplace. He understood his friend's frustrations but if they had only seen or felt what he did when he spent almost an entire day with Amelia. Had they spent any time with her in the hallways or libraries like Harry had, he was sure they would better understand his sympathy for the girl.

Harry muttered, "She's not a Malfoy! She's a Lestrange..."

The two Gryffindors scoffed as Hermione exclaimed, "Even better!" Her tone was wrapped with viscid sarcasm that made Harry cringe. 

In a brief instance, Harry felt a gust of courage and decided to speak up and defend his "forbidden lover." He said, "I'm aware of how bad it sounds and how bad things could end up being, but I think she's really starting to like me. I just need a few days alone with her." Harry took notice of the concern in his friend's faces, they were picking up on the fact that he truly did feel something for the girl. 

He shook his head and continued, "I- I know she's about to slip up and say something!" The couple stared at Harry with dumbfounded and fed-up expressions. Harry groaned, "Bloody hell! I just can't get her alone here and she's far too smart to talk about those things in the open so please just trust me on this one!" The boy begged. 

After a small silence, Ron let out a sigh. Hermione was livid and was not looking forward to actually speaking to her brown-haired best mate. 

"Alright fine, she can stay 1 week of the 2 at the Burrow. Nothing more. I don't want that girl in my house more than she needs to be." Ron looked at Harry with heavy and worried eyes, Hermione, reluctantly nodding in agreement, and with that, the trio went off to bed. 

Harry living to see another day with his secret ambitions towards Amelia.

~

Monday morning came around and Amelia had woken up, still wrapped in Blaise's arms. Wiggling her way out of them, she got ready for her day. 30 minutes had passed and almost every boy that had a hook up in the girl's dorms last night had left and gone to their respective rooms. Blaise, not being one of those gentlemen, was still passed out on Amelia's bed, so she went to wake the boy. She was lucky that in her dorm specifically, it was only her, Pansy, and Daphene. The other girls were without a doubt still in the bed of their last nights' conquests.