Chapter 16: Hugs and Kisses

(edited)

Amelia made her way around the party, bumping into people, avoiding spilled drinks, and the occasional drunk 4th year trying to ask her to go upstairs until she found Draco. 

"Malfoy, can we talk? Please?" He didn't turn to look at the witch. He was pretending he couldn't hear Amelia over the music and this got on the girl's nerves, "Draco seriously! No time for games!" she yelled out.

A loud sigh emerged from the boy as he took a second to process what was to come of their conversation. He turned to his cousin and finally spoke, "5 minutes."  The pair left the common room and decided to head to the girl's dormitory since no one would be there and they could talk about all things death eater. 

Draco turned and faced Amelia, "Go."

She started, "Okay, I know you think that I believe I'm better than you and all that but I don't!... at least not all the time." Amelia's voice thinned out, she felt bad and she's never had to really apologize like this.

Draco scoffed, "Wow! so comforting Lia!" he spoke enthusiastically but laced with sarcasm.

Amelia sighed and began her rambling, "I'm sorry for coming into your life and "mucking things up" Draco." She quoted his prior statement. "I really didn't mean to do anything but you have to remember that this has come as much of a shock to me as to you! I found out I'm a bloody witch and now I have my REAL mom and family!" Amelia pleaded, trying to get her cousin to see things through her eyes. 

Draco stayed put, he didn't say anything because he knew she had much more to add and he needed time to calm down before initiating a response. She'd been begging him to see things how she sees it but he hasn't really asked Amelia to walk a mile in his shoes yet. Draco only ever told his cousin how things were difficult for him, he never expected or even wanted her to understand his pain. 

Amelia sighed at Draco's silence and continued, "I joined a magical dark army, I started attending a bloody WIZARD school, and apparently, now I have a boyfriend who thinks going to a dance together means we're some match made in heaven!" She stopped to take a breath and continued to speak in a softer tone, "My life is just as crazy as yours Draco." The stressed girl paused to study his reaction. 

Draco still refused to speak but Amelia could read his face like a book. Draco himself also seemed to have not cared enough to mask his regret and pain. Amelia continued, "I finally have a chance to prove myself, to prove I'm not some stupid girl so please don't hate me for taking that chance." 

Amelia wanted to say more. She wanted to open up to him about her life, pre-wizarding world. They had gotten very close while at the Manor before the term started but he never asked about her life in the muggle world and she never told him. Amelia never fully processed the things that happened to her and she knew talking about it now, on top of everything else, would cause her to breakdown and that's something she couldn't bear. She can't handle his pity. 

Draco was silent for a while. He took everything in and only after a few silent minutes did he reply, "I guess I never really thought about how much your life changed as well..." Amelia stayed quiet to see if he would say anything else. Draco sighed, "It just can get frustrating how you simply came in and did everything so much better than I ever did. You never hesitate, you're obedient, and despite what I said earlier, you never actually "mucked things up" Lia." After the boy was done he looked down at his shoes and didn't dare make eye contact. He knew neither of them were angry anymore, he just didn't need to cry.

A small smile made its way to the girl's face. She felt a weight bring lifted off her shoulders, Draco's opinion was one she valued dearly, he was basically her brother after all.