Chapter 15: Clarity

(edited) 

Amelia took her mother's letter and when to the Room of Requirement, the only place she knew that she'd be alone. She sat down on a chair in the mess of random miscellaneous objects and opened her letter.

Hello mummy's little monster,

Just checking in to make sure everything is going according to plan. I hope you haven't forgotten what's at hand. We must please the Dark Lord in anyway we can and he has entrusted you with very special tasks. Yes, he has also entrusted your cowardly cousin, but we both know who the more capable one is. I don't know what's going on over there but judging by the lack of progress, something is blocking you from completing your job so get rid of it. War is no time for feelings and conscience. Mummy is trusting you, do not mess this up. 

Amelia sighed and folded the note back up. Just when she was starting to feel better, the knot began to form in her stomach again. The girl took a minute to calm down before placing the note on the floor and muttering a fire-making charm that Draco had taught her. 

"Incendio," and just like that the letter burned away. She figured no one could ever get their hands on it or else her and her cousin would be thrown in Azkaban. 

Oddly enough, Amelia found that burning the letter actually ate away at some of her worries and anxiety. Simply thinking that her problems, for a split second, had turned to ash and she could forget about them. 

Amelia snapped back to reality on her way out of the room when she bumped into the one person that she has been trying to avoid for nearly two days now. 

"Sorry I wasn't looking- oh," he cleared his throat. The boy looked surprised and still a little hurt but also very glad to see and be able to speak to the girl. "Lia.."

Amelia's nerves were brought back to life in seconds, she remembered his face at Hogsmeade when she had told him she was going to the ball with Blaise. She could even recall all the glances and stares he had given her since. "Hi Harry..." she gave him a small smile.

After a short, and awkward, silence during which anyone could tell Harry was biting his tongue, Amelia decided to answer his question for him and she spoke up, "No, Blaise isn't my boyfriend."

Harry let out a small breath that he was holding in and cracked a smile. He was relieved. Whether it was because he still had time to get in Amelia's good graces or because he discovered his true feelings for her, was unclear but he didn't mind the uncertainty just yet. He nodded and said, "Right... How did you even know that's what I was thinking?"

Amelia let out a small laugh to mask her anxiousness, "6th sense I guess?"

Harry chuckled along but another question sparked in his mind, "yet, you are going to the ball with him?" Amelia nodded in response and Harry continued, "But why?" 

The girl shrugged and said, "He's not that bad you know, and everything just happened really fast." Harry nodded in understanding and briefly glanced at his feet. "Can I ask a question Harry?" Amelia spoke up, to which Harry nodded. 

She was nervous about his response but she thought that knowing his reply might make things better for her. Maybe it would help her understand some things about her own feelings, "Why do you care so much about Zabini and I? You seemed pretty upset at Hogsmeade."

Harry stiffened at her question, his nerves poking through more prominently. He couldn't give her the answer that he really wanted to. Mostly because he thought that if he openly said he liked her, out loud, then it would make him realize he wasn't saying it just to play her and he was scared that there would be some truth or reality behind it. Harry spoke wearily, "Well, I don't know... I guess I just thought there was something going on between you and me, ever since the day in the shack..."