Chapter 14: Anxious

(edited)

The rest of the weekend wasn't as eventful as Saturday. Draco and Amelia spent almost all Sunday afternoon in the Room of Requirement working on their cabinet. 

Draco grew frustrated quickly, he felt like no progress was being made. "Bloody hell! it's not working!" He threw his wand down.

Amelia rolled her eyes "Would you stop being so dramatic Draco!?" She was getting fed up with his temper tantrums. "If you could control your stupid temper and actually focus then it will work." Amelia tried to state calmly. Draco had been messing up for so long now and Amelia still hasn't figured out why.

Draco scoffed, "Says little miss perfect!" This wasn't his first outburst at Amelia. He had been yelling and sneaking passive-aggressive remarks at the girl for so long now. 

"Excuse me?" She questioned 

Draco took a breath, "Little. Miss. Perfect," he saw the confusion on her face."Don't be daft Lia! You just so happened to waltz your way into MY house out of nowhere, only to become some sort of magical prodigy that's amazing at everything she does! You immediately get praised by EVERYONE! Even MY own parents!" Amelia went quiet in shock. "You came in here just mucking everything up for me and now I have to bust my ass twice as hard to get a SLITHER of the recognition I had before you came barging into my life." Draco was screaming and pacing all around the room, ending up looking down at his cousin with jealousy and irritation. 

Amelia was shocked and began her apology, "Draco I'm sorr-"

Draco choked, holding back tears, "I don't want your pity Lia." The two stood quietly for a moment before he spoke again, "We're done for today, alright?" Before Amelia could get another word out, the boy rushed out of the room and back to his dormitory. 

She sighed and couldn't help but feel guilty or at fault somehow.

~
Amelia decided it was best to get some homework done before dinner so she went and got all her books together, then made her way to the library in hopes of steering clear from any platinum blonde man-babies. Luckily her dear cousin never really stepped foot in really any library. 

Despite Amelia's effort to use her work to distract herself, her mind kept drifting back to Draco's performance in the Room of Requirement, and thinking more about his words only gave her an anxiety-induced stomach ache. She knew how it felt to have been neglected and not cared about, she knew exactly how Draco felt and she hated that she was the one causing it.

The more she thought about Draco's mention of her "waltzing in" the more she had actually started to process everything that's happened in the past few months.

She killed her parents. 

She met her mother who had abandoned her.

She joined the Dark Lord. 

She's expected to smuggle an entire army into her school.

And, she has to help her cousin, who now hates her, kill their headmaster.

The thoughts ran rampant in her mind. She couldn't let her mom down, not after she had just got her, nor could Amelia let Draco down, he's the closest thing she's ever had to a brother and not to mention the consequences if she were to dare disappoint the Dark Lord. 

The more the poor girl thought, the more pressure she felt being added to her shoulders. She began to feel constricted and condensed. There was too much counting on her, too many people relying on her to execute nearly impossible tasks, perfectly. 

Before she knew it, her face was heating up and not long after was she noticed, was when the tears that had been welling up, began to spill. It had been a long time since she cried, not once since she met her mother, she hated crying. It reminded her of how weak she used to be every time her father would make his drunken mistakes. She promised herself never to be that weak again. 

She quickly shoved her books in the bag and ran for the door, she ran until the cold air hit her face, cooling her flushed cheeks down. She had made it to the clock tower's courtyard and luckily not many people were there, dinner was going to begin shortly and everyone had already pushed their way to the Great Hall. 

She took one more look around her to make sure no one was there before she sat under one of the arches and let completely let herself go. 

Minutes passed and our poor Amelia was still a blubbering, bright pink, sobbing mess. She had pulled her legs closer and dug her face into the space between her chest and knees. For the sake of her own sanity, she let herself be vulnerable. She knew that suppressing everything she had been feeling would eventually stop working and she knew this break was bound to happen. 

Amelia is not the type to be emotional around others. In fact, she hated it when people would see her cry, even as a child, and especially now, she hated it when people could see how weak and vulnerable she could be. This has become a recurring problem though, she never lets anything out until she reaches her ultimate breaking point. She bottles and ignores it all, covering it by taking passive-aggressive shots at her friends or teasing a few people here and there. She acts like a real bitch to everyone and everything, until eventually, she snaps. 

The girl let a few more minutes pass, allowing her face to look normal once again. No puffy red eyes and swollen, pink lips or cheeks. 

Rising to her feet, she heard her stomach growl and figured she should snag a snack before dinner so, she made her way to the Great Hall and sat far away from her cousin and friends. 

Despite her attempt at sitting along, Pansy spotted her rather quickly and rushed over, "Where were you Amelia?" She questioned and sat down.

Amelia instinctively told the easiest lie she could come up with, "Just doing homework, We have that potions exam tomorrow." She shrugged and continued to eat her food.

Pansy studied her friend a little before she continued, "Right... well, the owls came earlier and you got something," She handed Amelia a letter. It was from Bellatrix. Lia took the letter from Pansy and glanced at the envelope, it said, "To my little monster Amelia, open this in private dear. Love, Mum" a smile etched across Amelia's face, this is exactly what she needed to feel better. She had missed her mom's letters so much and seeing the "Love, Mum" at the end gave her the peace and comfort she'd been needing all day. 

Yes, Bellatrix had a rough exterior but the few nights that the mother-daughter duo had spent in the Manor, talking about Amelia's past and all the problems with it, were some of the happiest moments in Amelia's life. Her mother wasn't amazing at advice or listening really but she comforted her daughter physically with hugs and promises of a better future. It made Amelia finally feel accepted and cared after, which was all she's wanted.

"Thank you, Pansy," Amelia hugged her. 

Pansy nodded and smiled in response, "I would stay longer but Draco, Blaise, and I finished our meals and we were about to head to the main courtyard to hang out. You should stop by after dinner!" The girl spoke hopefully and it was clear Draco hadn't briefed them on his dispute with his cousin. 

Amelia gave a weak smile and nodded, "I'll think about it Pans." Her friend nodded and left to the others.

Amelia turned her attention back to her dinner, of course not before catching a cheeky wink from Blaise while he strutted out of the hall. She laughed it off and shook her head, blushing when yesterday's events came to mind.

---------

A/N: Hey! Hope you all enjoyed it! Excuse any grammar or spelling mistakes, it's getting late for me and my eyes are getting heavy lmaoo and feel free to lmk if there are anymore so I can correct them! But yea let me know what you guys think! :))

ALSO BIG THANK YOU FOR 1.4K READS????? I'M IN LITERAL SHOCK I HAVE NO WORDS BUT THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!