Chapter 35

"Go on Harry you go first dear" Mrs Weasley said as Harry ran at the barrier leading to Platform 9 3/4. The last week had been lovely, catching up with everyone before school started again. Hermione told me about all the books she had read, Ron had given me loads of stock from the twins' new shop and Harry seemed to be doing better after everything that happened last year, however he seemed unsurprised that I hadn't heard from Draco in a while when I told him.

I looked around for the blonde haired boy when I made it onto the platform but couldn't see him over the heads of students, some carrying owls, some carrying broomsticks. I had both my broomstick and my owl in my hands, and Ron was carrying my trunk for me after I nearly fell headfirst on the platform trying to carry everything.

"Come on Greenwood, can't be having our prefect injuring herself before we've even got there can we?!" He said as he steadied me, Blink rattling around in her cage after I woke her up from wobbling her about. This year I was a Gryffindor prefect, alongside Hermione. Dumbledore had written to me to give me the news as well as sending me a red prefect badge to wear on my robes. He had also told me to speak to him before the feast this evening as he had a job for me, which intrigued me immensely.

Once we boarded the train I considered going down to the Slytherin carriage to see if Draco was there but Hermione insisted on changing our robes and discussing the tour we would be giving the first years that evening. As she droned on about timetables and studying I felt my eyelids drooping slightly and I soon found myself nodding off to the sound of the train chugging along back to school.

"I'm just saying that everyone in his family are part of them and he's 18 now, it just makes sense" I was woken up by Harry's hushed voice and sensing that they were talking about Draco, I kept my eyes closed but listened in to the conversation.

"You what?" Said Ron, confused.

"Harry is under the impression that Draco Malfoy is now a death eater." Hermione huffed.

"Think about it. He didn't get in touch with Tori through the last few weeks of summer, so something must have happened. I'm telling you now that he's up to something."

"Don't be stupid Harry. Tori wouldn't still be with him if he was a death eater."

"What if she doesn't know? I'm going to get some air" I heard the carriage door slam and it was silent again. I still kept my eyes closed, if I opened them I feared they would have just spilled with tears. It all added up now, how he left after that night on the beach, how he never wrote to me, the "family business" he talked about. My boyfriend was a death eater, but I couldn't be sure, I had to fine out for myself.

I felt the train slowing down and the familiar view of the castle took my breath away like it always does. I sat up and rubbed my eyes, looking down at the prefect badge on my robes. I had a big job to do this year, but I had an even bigger task of finding out what the hell was going on with my boyfriend.

I didn't wait for the others, instead I made my way straight to Dumbledore's office to talk to him like he had asked. With shaking hands I climbed the steps to his office and there he was, sat at his desk with a man I didn't recognise standing next to it.

"Ahh Miss Greenwood there you are. Welcome back."

"Thankyou Professor. You wanted to see me?"

"Yes, out of curiosity what do you want to do when you graduate from Hogwarts?"

"Well sir I would love to become a potions professor."

"I was hoping you would say that. This is Professor Slughorn, he is the new potions teacher here, Professor Snape will be teaching defence against the dark arts"

"Nice to meet you, Victoria, I've heard great things" the stranger said and I shook his hand warmly.

"This year I would like you to assist professor Slughorn, as a sort of teaching assistant if you will"

"I'd love to Professor!" I exclaimed, delighted that I had been given this opportunity.

"Perfect. Dumbledore tele me you are extremely gifted at potions, I look forward to working together."

"As do I Professor."

After the meeting had ended I made my way to the hall where Ron, Hermione and Ginny were sat with Harry's place empty.

"Where did you go? Have you seen Harry?" Hermione asked.

"No, Dumbledore wanted to see me, why what's up with Harry?"

Before Hermione could answer the new first years were led in and the sorting ceremony began. I looked over to see Draco's seat at the Slytherin table was empty and I felt a knot in my stomach. Maybe he wasn't going to come back to Hogwarts ever. After the sorting ceremony was complete Dumbledore began his usual speech about new teachers and when he got to talking about Professor Slughorn he said "and this year he will be assisted by a 6th year student, Miss Victoria Greenwood" every head in the hall turned to look at me and I stood up nervously. As the applauded died down I looked at the door to see Draco enter and I felt my heart drop, he looked so pale and scared, he sat down quickly, being careful not to draw too much attention to himself and our eyes locked. He offered me an unconvincing smile as I sat back down and that when I saw Harry walked in, his shirt stained with blood.