Chapter 54

Professor Mcgonagall was unsurprised to see me, only looking up briefly from whatever she was writing to say "everyone else will be here tomorrow, in the meantime your robes and trunk are in your dormitory, you might want to change into them." She nodded towards my dress from the wedding that I was still wearing and I shrank further into my chair.

"I don't usually wear this, I went to a wedding."

"I know where you were miss Greenwood, Remus Lupin contacted me telling me of your arrival....and about your new wand. I would prefer it if you used your normal wand while at school, as to not have an unfair advantage in your studies."

"And to not let anyone else know I have it."

"Yes....that too."

"Professor? Are you headmistress now?"

"I'm afraid not, Professor Snape is." She watched as my face fell and nodded, as if she understood.

"Miss Greenwood Hogwarts isn't the school you are used to anymore. The Order of the Phoenix have asked me to keep you safe, so my instructions are for you to lay low, complete all your classes and try not to wander the corridors alone."

"Ok, got it."

"Oh, and there's this for you, congratulations." She dropped a badge in my hand. I thought it was like any other prefect badge, a role I was used to, but this one was brandished with the words Head Girl.

"I'm head girl?"

"Indeed you are. You should be extremely proud of yourself."

"Who's Head Boy?"

"Well, as you can guess it was going to be Mr Harry Potter, but as he isn't here this year Mr Malfoy was next in line, but because of his.....situation, mr Theodore Nott is the new head boy."

"He's in Slytherin right? I don't think I've ever spoken to him before"

"Well I'm sure you two will become acquainted soon enough, after all you will be working closely together to monitor the students here. Now I think it's time you got some rest, you're safe here Miss Greenwood. Goodnight."

"Goodnight Professor."

As I headed up to Gryffindor tower alone my mind was racing with a million thoughts. Not only was Snape, the man who killed Dumbledore, headmaster now, but I was head girl, meaning I had to follow all the rules he sets out. And where the bloody hell am I supposed to hide this wand?

The Fat Lady opened immediately for me without me even having to say the password, I guess she was off duty seeing as school hadn't even started yet. As the portrait closed behind me I sank into one of the cosy armchairs and took in my surroundings of the deserted common room. This place, the snug common room, with its crackling fire and photos of quidditch matches Gryffindor house has won all around the walls, Weasley products in every corner and books filling the shelves that went up to the ceiling. This place used to make me so happy, but now all I want is to run away from it all. But I can't. I'm on my own now, completely on my own, and I just need to keep my head down and stay out of trouble.

~

My eyes flickered open gently as the harsh daylight met flooded through the windows. I sat up from my slumped position in the chair, I must have fallen asleep at some point, and headed upstairs to change into my robes, not having a clue what time it was, but knowing that the Hogwarts Express was probably well on its way, bringing however many students the parents let come back this year, along with a bunch of new first years who I would have to look after.

Attaching my new badge to my robes I headed back into the common room, and was just about to take a book out of the packed shelf when I heard movement behind me. Grabbing my wand I turned around to see a cheeky Slytherin boy sitting boldly in the same chair I was in just a few moments before.

"Now now Greenwood, no need to be scared."

"Theodore Nott. What are you doing here so early? And why are you in the Gryffindor common room?"

"Haven't you heard? I'm head boy now, I can pretty much go wherever I want. And I'm here early because I didn't want to get that bloody train, so I got dropped off by my parents. Now, I would ask why you're here so early, but I already know."

"You do?"

"He wants me to tell you he's safe."

"You've spoken to Draco?"

"Saw him last night at the manor. I don't have the mark if that's what you're wondering, but my parents do, I'll probably have to join at some point but right now I just sit outside the door listening to the meetings. The dark lord spared him, but he's on thin ice Greenwood, I wouldn't go contacting him if I were you."

"Thank god he's ok. Did he say anything else?"

"Well, he made me do this little thing, a certain little unbreakable vow to protect you"

"So....."

"So if you die, I die. So basically you're stuck with me following you around keeping you out of trouble because I don't really want to die before I've had the chance to join the England Quidditch team thankyou very much."

"So that's why you're head boy."

"That, and because  Snape wanted a Slytherin head boy. This isn't the little Hoggy Hoggy Hogwarts you're used to Greenwood, with him in charge it basically means the dark lord himself is in charge."

"And I was sent here to be safe. How stupid."

"Oh you will be safe. Once you hide that bloody wand."

"You know?"

"Draco had to tell me for the vow. But don't worry, your boyfriend is very protective, practically had me up against the wall threatening that if I squealed I'd be dead faster than I can say pureblood."

"I don't think I can call him my boyfriend anymore."

"Ahhhh save the soppy stuff will you? It's only the first day back and I've got a whole year of following you around, please make my life easy, in case you haven't noticed I don't particularly want to do this, I'm doing it because Draco's my best friend."

"Well.....thankyou. I guess. Now can you leave me alone so I can get some peace before the train arrives?"

"Little bit late for that, it's just got here."